Internet Speed Fluctuating While Streaming

ImBojo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
We pay for 20mb down speed and a 1 upload. When I run a speed test it averages 16+ most of the time which should be enough and was enough for the past year and a half to handle streaming and online gaming at the same time. Whenever Netflix, or Hulu is used to stream shows my internet speed will start to fluctuate rapidly. I upgraded my internet mid last year to fix the problem of my family being able to stream and me being to play online games simultaneously. We switched from using a PS3 for streaming to a Sony blu ray player. When I test my speed the graph basically resembles mountains(speed going and up down rapidly.) This is causing my online games to lag and basically make them unplayable. I've tried power cycling, and QOS to fix this and neither worked. What could the problem be? Is my router bad? Is the blu ray player taking up more speed than the ps3 required to stream?

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

One thing you can start with to single out the problem is to go ethernet direct from the modem to a computer. If your speed is fine then you know the issue is with the router. If your speed sucks then you know its with the modem.

You can try a couple things if the problem is with the router before going out to replace it. First off, are you testing speeds wirelessly? if so, try changing the channel that the router is broadcasting at to 3 6 or 11. You can also try changing the wifi security to aes only. Most routers are set to aes+tkip as recommended but can cause issues with speed among certain devices. good luck.

TRENDING THREADS