[SOLVED] Internet speed is fine but Discord and games lose connection

Dec 19, 2021
So since a few days I started having a weird network issue where my download speed is fine and stable (4-5MB/s over a powerline adapter), but when I'm in a Discord call sometimes the connection completely fails and I can't hear the other person anymore, nor can I hear them.
Online games also tend to give network lag, where everything is stuck in place for 2 seconds and then suddenly all positions update.
The weird thing is that I managed to run a speedtest while this issue was ongoing (Discord ping was at 5000+ and voice didn't work), but the results of the speedtest were perfectly fine. Normal and stable download and upload speeds and 13ms ping.
I've also had downloads running and these do not suffer from any issues and keep downloading at a constant (normal) speed. So it seems that only some things suffer issues while my connection in general is fine.
Has anyone ever experienced anything similar or have any idea what could be causing this?

Solution
Because game and discord to some extent work differently than most other traffic.

A game does not care about the speed it uses very little maybe 1mbps. What it does care about is very consistent latency/ping time and little to no packet loss. Things like file transfers and even video streaming using buffers to hide any delays.

Start by running a constant ping command to 8.8.8.8 and see if you get packet loss or very large latency spikes....very large is over 100ms not some tiny 10 or 20ms jitters.
Because game and discord to some extent work differently than most other traffic.

A game does not care about the speed it uses very little maybe 1mbps. What it does care about is very consistent latency/ping time and little to no packet loss. Things like file transfers and even video streaming using buffers to hide any delays.

Start by running a constant ping command to 8.8.8.8 and see if you get packet loss or very large latency spikes....very large is over 100ms not some tiny 10 or 20ms jitters.

Solution