Question Internet Speed Limited Through PC?

brooksay

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
Hi,
I've recently upgraded to gigabit internet speed from 500Mb/s. However my pc is still only receiving 500Mb/s.
Using https://samknows.com/realspeed/ I know that the router is getting the full gigabit speeds, but my pc is limited to 500.

I've tried factory resetting the router and have made sure all my firmware is up-to-date.

I'm running cat 6 ethernet from a router to a switch then to my PC. I know my switch can run gigabit speeds, leading me to believe that the PC may be the issue? What could be the bottleneck limiting my PC speeds?

Thanks!

brooksay

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
What router do you have? make and model
What switch do you have? make and model
what motherboard do you have?

Did you buy the cables or make them yourself? Have you plugged your computer directly into the router to narrow down a cable or switch issue.

Router - Virgin Media Hub 4
Switch - TP Link TL-SG105S Version 3
Motherboard - B350 Tomahawk Arctic (MS-7A34)

Bought the cables
Yes, just tried that - getting slightly faster speeds at 600-700Mb/s, but still nowhere near the 1150Mb/s the router is getting.

do you have a link to the cable you bought? Cat 6 should be 23AWG and solid copper.

You can also click the start button and type network connections, inside the new window double click on your ethernet connection and it will tell you what speed your network port is running at. If its running at 1GB then you need to look at your cable or your router.

You can also call your ISP and have them make sure your getting the speed your paying for.

Reactions: brooksay

brooksay

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
do you have a link to the cable you bought? Cat 6 should be 23AWG and solid copper.

You can also click the start button and type network connections, inside the new window double click on your ethernet connection and it will tell you what speed your network port is running at. If its running at 1GB then you need to look at your cable or your router.

You can also call your ISP and have them make sure your getting the speed your paying for.
Unfortunately couldn't find the link to the cable I got, checked network connections and it should be 1Gbps, I've called my ISP at least 5 times and every time they've either been completely useless or I've been hung up on...
I'm now also wondering why I lose about 200mbps when I go through my switch?
Would it be worth upgrading to cat 7?