[SOLVED] Internet speed limited to 100mbps

May 15, 2022
Hi, I have a internet subscription that offers up to 2gbps and yesterday for some random reasons I was running some speedtest. I noticed that on my windows10 desktop my connection is limited to 100 mbps. My motherbiard is MSI B85G43 which according to documentation can go up to 1000mbps.
I tried to understand why I went into my ethernet status and see speed: 100Mbps.
Into properties I tried to change in advanced settings the speed & duplex to 1.0Gbps duplex integral but it did not change anything.
I am connected using RJ45 cat5e I've tried with differents wires cat5e or cat6 did not fix.
I am not sure what else I can do... In wifi with laptop or mobile I go up to 500mbps.

Thanks for help

Solution
This almost always is a bad cable. I will assume your router has gigabit lan ports, almost all routers are but older ones and cheaper ones still have 10/100 lan ports.

First you need to leave it set to auto. If you set it to anything else you can confuse the router port which is almost always auto and can not be changed.

There is not much you can set or change. This speed negotiation is down by the hardware chips and drivers have almost no effect. I guess you could check you have the latest driver but the driver doesn't do anything with say checking the voltage levels it sees on certain pins.

This means it is either a bad cable, a bad port in the pc, a bad port in the router. Bad ports are very very rare and you can't...
This almost always is a bad cable. I will assume your router has gigabit lan ports, almost all routers are but older ones and cheaper ones still have 10/100 lan ports.

First you need to leave it set to auto. If you set it to anything else you can confuse the router port which is almost always auto and can not be changed.

There is not much you can set or change. This speed negotiation is down by the hardware chips and drivers have almost no effect. I guess you could check you have the latest driver but the driver doesn't do anything with say checking the voltage levels it sees on certain pins.

This means it is either a bad cable, a bad port in the pc, a bad port in the router. Bad ports are very very rare and you can't fix them really anyway.

The big problem we see are all the fake ethernet cables being sold because the price of copper metal has been at record highs for a couple years. The so called "CAT" names mean nothing really the standards are other things that are big strings of letters and numbers.
This allows vendors to sell cables and call them CAT whatever because the can make up whatever definition they want.

I would try to buy a new cable, it is going to be your cheapest option. Maybe you are unlucky and you currently have multiple bad cables. Make sure you get pure copper wire (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables). All you need is cat5e unless cat6 is cheaper both are rated to 1gbit at 100 meters, at least if they follow the real standards for the cables.

If that does not work you consider a internal PCIE ethernet card or a USB3 external ethernet.

Solution
May 15, 2022
Hi thank you for your reply. You were right after reading your comment I went to look at my switch that is a 10/100 mbps that's why I cannot go above this.