Question Internet speed on pc half of what i pay for

Nov 26, 2018
I pay for 400mbps internet but can only get that on a wired connection and close to that on my phone. My computer struggles to reach 250mbps.

I have 50mbps upload and I am able to easily achieve that on my pc.

I have a wifi adapter with a max speed of 867mbps on 5ghz and it shows that in windows wifi status. I have updated the driver of the adapter.

My phone in the same room as my computer is getting close to 400mbps and my wireless signal strength is at 100% so I'm really confused to what the issue is.

To be clear both my pc and computer are connected to the same 5ghz network.

my wireless adapter is: Wise Tiger 1200Mbps Long Range USB WiFi Adapter

Please any suggestions on how I can fix this would be greatly appreciated.

If you can get 400mbps on a phone wifi I am extremely surprised.

The numbers you see on wifi are market numbers. They add all kinds of stuff together to get bigger numbers. They for example add the 2.4g and 5g radio speeds together even though you can't actually use both on a single machine. The also add transmit and receive speeds together.

That would be like calling a gigabit ethernet cable 2gbit because it can send and receive 1gbit in each direction. Ethernet can actually do that unlike wifi that is half duplex.

You need to reset you expectations. This site has some closer to real life testing but they also test with things like 4 antenna nic cards which are extremely rare so even these numbers can be considered high.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/119-5-ghz-profile-dn/35

Nov 26, 2018
If you can get 400mbps on a phone wifi I am extremely surprised.

The numbers you see on wifi are market numbers. They add all kinds of stuff together to get bigger numbers. They for example add the 2.4g and 5g radio speeds together even though you can't actually use both on a single machine. The also add transmit and receive speeds together.

That would be like calling a gigabit ethernet cable 2gbit because it can send and receive 1gbit in each direction. Ethernet can actually do that unlike wifi that is half duplex.

You need to reset you expectations. This site has some closer to real life testing but they also test with things like 4 antenna nic cards which are extremely rare so even these numbers can be considered high.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/119-5-ghz-profile-dn/35

in windows it shows the max capacity of the 5ghz at 867mbps, and if my phone that is in the same room can get near 400mbps my computer surely can.

Nov 26, 2018
You can believe what you like. You need to learn what those numbers mean. I suspect you did not even go to the link I provided and read anything on that site.
I don't know whats so mind boggling about getting 400mbps on wifi but thankfully i was able to get it working after tweaking some of my adapter settings and plugging the adapter into another usb port.