Question Internet speed one thing WiFi connected computer WAY DIFFERENT

Jun 20, 2019
I have an Xfinity router/modem that is hardwired to my Desktop computer. On speedtest I am getting between 165 and 170 mbps (no problem there.
My laptop is in an adjacent room less than 10 feet from that xfinity router/modem.
The speeds on that laptop are consistently between 39 mbps and 50.1 mbps.
Xfinity admits that is very low but I must be in a dead zone. They have now rebooted that router/modem in the last 7 days and the speed may come up to 60 mbps. That however drops back to the before mentioned speeds. I purchased a gadget that is suppose to strengthen the connection ... it dis not help.
I bought a brand new Dell laptop to the tune of $1300 and it did the same thing. One heck of a dead spot is my thinking.

So I decided to drag the new laptop into my office where the router/modem is situated ... booted it up and voila same speed as in the adjacent room.
Now this laptop is sitting less than a foot away from that xfinity router/modem.

Am I correct in assuming there is an issue with the xfinity router/modem?
What should I expect as a speed from the desktop with the hardwired xfinity router/modem to my new ... 2018 Premium Flagship Dell Inspiron 15 5000 15.6 Inch FHD Laptop Computer (Intel Quad-Core i7-8550U, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 4GB AMD Radeon 530.

Thank you in advance for any enlightenment you can give!
Kat

Is the router dual band: 2g/5g? If so it would show on the wifi search for whatever device as having two connections. 5ghz band means much better speeds but with lower area coverage. 2.4ghz speed has wider coverage, but lower average speeds. Check it out and report back.

What's the exact model of router?

Reactions: Kat Hill
Jun 20, 2019
on the unit itself I only see Xfinity and the only thing I see other than network information something like CM Mac 481D7054EA43 that might be the model
On the front the only thing I see is 802.11 XBEIt is 2.4ghz and 5ghz
Those 2 lights on the front of that unit are continually blinking on and off.
This laptop (under 10 ft away in an adjacent room) is apparently using one of them as I type this.

Jun 20, 2019
Is the router dual band: 2g/5g? If so it would show on the wifi search for whatever device as having two connections. 5ghz band means much better speeds but with lower area coverage. 2.4ghz speed has wider coverage, but lower average speeds. Check it out and report back.

What's the exact model of router?

Thank you for that information it is helpful to know the meaning of those bands. Keith.

Jun 20, 2019
Here is the outcome for those who might have the same problem.
Xfinity sent a tech out. He fiddled with my system for about 3.5 hours and finally decided to replace the modem. I was then getting speeds of 180 mbps on the desktop that was hardwired to the modem. The Dell laptop sitting less than a foot away from the modem in front of the desktop computer still could only get a consistent 60 mbps.

The tech could get with his IPhone the full 180 mbps.
Tech advised the problem must be with the new computer.
I called my grandson who is a gamer and insists on good speeds. He has ATT with a supposed 1 terabits connection but only actually gets 700 mbps speeds.
He dropped by and found 3 programs that were the problem in the new computer.
All were preinstalled ... Mcafee antivirus, a malware protection and something called smartbites (or something similar). He uninstalled the later 2 and suggested I get a different anti virus which seemed to hog up to 90% of my resources.

This new laptop is now running at a consistent speed of 180 mbps sitting next to the Xfinity box and the same in the adjacent room sitting next to the older laptop.
The older laptop is a HP and still only reaches between 18 to 50 mbps

I have an Xfinity router/modem that is hardwired to my Desktop computer. On speedtest I am getting between 165 and 170 mbps (no problem there.
My laptop is in an adjacent room less than 10 feet from that xfinity router/modem.
The speeds on that laptop are consistently between 39 mbps and 50.1 mbps.
Xfinity admits that is very low but I must be in a dead zone. They have now rebooted that router/modem in the last 7 days and the speed may come up to 60 mbps. That however drops back to the before mentioned speeds. I purchased a gadget that is suppose to strengthen the connection ... it dis not help.
I bought a brand new Dell laptop to the tune of $1300 and it did the same thing. One heck of a dead spot is my thinking.

So I decided to drag the new laptop into my office where the router/modem is situated ... booted it up and voila same speed as in the adjacent room.
Now this laptop is sitting less than a foot away from that xfinity router/modem.

Am I correct in assuming there is an issue with the xfinity router/modem?
What should I expect as a speed from the desktop with the hardwired xfinity router/modem to my new ... 2018 Premium Flagship Dell Inspiron 15 5000 15.6 Inch FHD Laptop Computer (Intel Quad-Core i7-8550U, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 4GB AMD Radeon 530.

Thank you in advance for any enlightenment you can give!
Kat