Internet speed problems since crash

Kenton82

Reputable
Hi guys and girls,
My PC suffered a big crash when playing Dirt Rally last night, and the only way to recover the system was to push the reset button. The pc would then refuse to enter windows. When it finally did, the GPU driver had been removed, and i was left with a huge black and white screen. The internet connection (wired) was saying there was no connection, so i rebooted the modem and I ran the Nvidia Experience software and downloaded the latest driver - with the network logo still saying it was not available...
I also checked windows update and saw there was an update ready to install, so i restarted to install said update.
After that the PC struggled to boot into windows. Finally after trial and error it did, and i tried several times and everything seems normal again!
When i tried the internet however, it is dog slow... To the point that youtube and a couple of others would time out loading the page.
I have checked my connection settings, ran a full Norton scan, Malware scan, CCleaner, network diagnostics, and a speed test (which shows i am getting full speed from the line) and finally windows update again. Still dog slow! (this PC is always kept spotlessly clean, and fully up to date on all hardware.

I am using Chrome.

Anyone got any ideas? I am stumped. Specs are in my name badge.

Thanks to all for any help as always!

K

Solution
you should try uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest norton version

I myself don´t use fully paid software, just the free ones.
Bitdefender and kaspersky are good as well.

Kenton82

Reputable
Hello, cheers for answering. All hardware is in my name badge. Yeah, CPU idle around 35-40C GPU idle is 32-35C Performed a full check on my SSD - no problems what so ever (not tested it with the samsung utility yet though!) Not tested the RAM as did not occur to me. PC seems to be running as fast as it did before the problem, only snag is the internet speed on chrome. I also have not tried using microsoft Edge yet, as i am starting to question the possibility of chrome being the culprit here..? The rig used to absolutely fly when using the web, but now, it has problems loading youtube.

Thanks again mate, any other ideas?

K

Kenton82

Reputable
Hi Helpstar, I am pretty sure i have found the culprit! I have had norton 360 for years, and never had a problem with it. I decided - after trying explorer and edge, to turn off norton. This restored my browsing speed!... I also conducted a test for download speed, by downloading the new driver from Nvidia experience. This ran at full speed at about 4.7MB/s. Everything else was as it should be.
I contacted Nortons chat support, but this was embarrassingly bad. The guy was reading from a manual... He connected up, but i had to stop him. Kept on about speeding up my PC, and i told him, the problem IS NOT my PC, it will not run any better, or faster - as i built it! But he said in order to escalate my problem to the senior tech's, he would have to run these 'checks'. I said this all has nothing to do with my Norton product. So he asked me what i wanted to do, and i said i would have to remove Norton, and find something else!... So he disconnected the chat and that was that.

Many thanks for your help. Any fully paid antivirus software you can recommend?

Sorry to waffle, but this encounter was shameful on the part of Symantec.

All the best,
K

Kenton82

Reputable
Yes, this was going to be my last ditch effort to retain Norton. I will give this a go later and let you know.... This is odd, as i have never had ANY problems with Norton, and especially no browsing speed issues.
I will also look into the free software you are using.
Cheers again mate.

Kenton82

Reputable
Right, just to update, I uninstalled Norton last night, did some registry cleansing, then reinstalled. The problem seems to have gone, and as far as i can work out, the speed is back to where it was! I did also reinstall chrome. However, i will be looking at the free software you mentioned when i get close to the end of my subscription with Norton!
Cheers for the advice pal.
All the best,
K

Kenton82

Reputable
No problem! It is strange as all the problems i have had since the crash, seem to be a coincidence. I really don't think that Norton would have been effected by a game crashing the system. And the problems with booting and display drivers must have been caused by an update that MAY have been half way through installing in the background at the time of the crash?
I have managed to bring the old girl back to perfect running again now, but as the MOBO and processor are 10 years old now, I wont be surprised if another crash violates the system once again!

Anyway, enough from me, many thanks again mate.

K