Question Internet Speed slow when connected to router (ethernet or wireless) ?

Maximost

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
I bought an Asus ROG GT AX-11000 router to replace an older one I had hoping to improve performance. It worked great for a short while, but then I noticed slow speeds. I did a lot of testing and learned that when I connect directly to my modem, speeds are way faster - often more than my specified speed of 200 mbps down. This only affects down speed, but upload speeds are generally ok at around 30 mbps. I sent the router back for repair, and it was returned with the same problem.

While it was out for repair, I bought another Asus router (RT AC-86U) and it does the same thing. I have convinced Asus to replace the AX-11000 with a new one, but I haven't received it yet. I have good ethernet cables, and use the same ones when testing through the modem and when I add the router. I notice that when connected to the router, speed typically starts out ok, but after about 1 second, it dives and tapers off with a high degree of variability (anywhere from 1 to 30 mbps). My motherboard is an Asus ROG x-570 Crosshair VIII and I've updated bios and all drivers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
ISP?

Make and model modem?

How are they all connected?

For example (line diagram):

ISP ---coax, fiber, DSL ----> modem ---- Ethernet cable --->[WAN port] Router [LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cables ----> Wired devices and ~~~~~ > Wireless devices

Edit my line diagram as necessary. What incoming cable do you have from your ISP?

Show other devices if any: switches, other routers, access points, etc..