[SOLVED] Internet speed suddenly slow after downloading Hamachi.

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
So my internet speeds are usually 550 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up, but ever since downloading hamachi, the download speed looks like it's been capped to 90 mb/s down and 0.09 mb/s up. I think it may be Hamachi, could just be a coincidence or not, I don't know. I just need help getting my internet speeds back.

Edit: upload speed is actually 0.09 mb/s

Last edited:
Solution
The slow upload is even more strange. I have not seen it as much with hamachi but vpn software sometimes leaves stuff installed even when you uninstall it. Some of the other vpn software I have seen causing issue it was sometime related to other so called "gamer" network software.
This "gamer" stuff causes enough issues by itself but the VPN and these programs attempt to get into the data path the same way. I would look to see if you have any this software. It has many names but it is mostly stuff that talks about giving games priority or QoS. CFOSspeed is a very common one. This stuff is many times
bundled with motherboards or video cards so you may have installed it and not know it.

On the off chance you just got...
The slow upload is even more strange. I have not seen it as much with hamachi but vpn software sometimes leaves stuff installed even when you uninstall it. Some of the other vpn software I have seen causing issue it was sometime related to other so called "gamer" network software.
This "gamer" stuff causes enough issues by itself but the VPN and these programs attempt to get into the data path the same way. I would look to see if you have any this software. It has many names but it is mostly stuff that talks about giving games priority or QoS. CFOSspeed is a very common one. This stuff is many times
bundled with motherboards or video cards so you may have installed it and not know it.

On the off chance you just got unlucky check the properties on your ethernet connection. Maybe it is running at 100mbps rather than gigabit. You commonly get numbers like 90mbps when it is running at 100mbps.....does not explain the upload rate though.

Solution

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
Download source for Hamachi?

Look in Resource Monitor and Task Manager for anything consuming network and/or system resources.

If there is nothing readily apparent (perhaps Hamachi) then uninstall Hamachi and look again.

I got Hamachi from vpn.net

what should I be looking for in resource manager?

For task manager, it says there is 0% network usage, only 0.1% usage from Discord and Chrome

I already deleted Hamachi and its still very slow

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021

On the off chance you just got unlucky check the properties on your ethernet connection. Maybe it is running at 100mbps rather than gigabit. You commonly get numbers like 90mbps when it is running at 100mbps.....does not explain the upload rate though.

I'm assuming you're talking about going into device manager and changing the speed and duplex of the ethernet connection, it's currently on Auto-Negotiation, changed it to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex, and it's still the same.

Not that is the setting. I wish microsoft quite changing things since it is depends on the patch level you have where they put the display.

There should be something that just show the current speed. It is under properties or status someplace. Start with the network tab on the bottom of your main bar rather than device manager.

I am going to bet your port is fine.

Finding something that did not uninstall cleanly is extremely hard. I never run any form of vpn on my machine itself anymore after having to reinstall windows to get past a much worse issue than yours a vpn software left. I only run vpn on a router now.
Hamachi though is pretty good about clean uninstall. Maybe try to reinstall it. Then configure it to allow all traffic to bypass the vpn.

After that it is hard to say. VPN software makes lots of changes to stuff. Check all the strange setting under the network adapter and make sure they are on the default settings.

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
Not that is the setting. I wish microsoft quite changing things since it is depends on the patch level you have where they put the display.

There should be something that just show the current speed. It is under properties or status someplace. Start with the network tab on the bottom of your main bar rather than device manager.

I am going to bet your port is fine.

Finding something that did not uninstall cleanly is extremely hard. I never run any form of vpn on my machine itself anymore after having to reinstall windows to get past a much worse issue than yours a vpn software left. I only run vpn on a router now.
Hamachi though is pretty good about clean uninstall. Maybe try to reinstall it. Then configure it to allow all traffic to bypass the vpn.

After that it is hard to say. VPN software makes lots of changes to stuff. Check all the strange setting under the network adapter and make sure they are on the default settings.

Yeah I see what you're talking about, it's running at 100.0 MPBS not a gigabit, does that play into anything?

Ralston18

Titan
In Resource Monitor, for example, select the Network tab.

Look at the Processes with Network Activity and Network Activity in general.

You can click the column headers to sort the displayed data. You should see a small upward or downward pointing arrow showing the sort.

Look for process doing lots of sending or receiving. Especially a process you do not recognize and/or do not expect to be present or running.

However a process "hogging" resources is one thing. A cap on speeds is another.

Yeah I see what you're talking about, it's running at 100.0 MPBS not a gigabit, does that play into anything?
That explains the 90mbps download. If it is set to auto it should negotiate to 1gbit.

This is almost always a bad cable. I would try another if you have it. If you buy a new one make sure you get cat5e or better if it is cheaper. Key here is it must be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables). There is a massive amount of fake cable being sold so read the fine print, all quality cable will clearly state if it is copper and the wire size.

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
That explains the 90mbps download. If it is set to auto it should negotiate to 1gbit.

This is almost always a bad cable. I would try another if you have it. If you buy a new one make sure you get cat5e or better if it is cheaper. Key here is it must be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables). There is a massive amount of fake cable being sold so read the fine print, all quality cable will clearly state if it is copper and the wire size.

I've had this cable for nearly a year now and it's always been keeping up with the intended speeds, did it suddenly just break or something?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LVZ501A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the current ethernet cable I'm using

That likely is a fake cable. There is no way it meets the requirements to be a cat7 cable. This is one of the first flat cables that I have seen that tries to claim awg 22. That is actually very thick wire and they are selling it as being thinner than round cables. Every other flat cable I have seen uses awg 30 or 31 which is much thinner than the minimum size or 24 allowed by the ethernet standard.

It doesn't matter even the best cable can go bad. The flat ones tend to fail more because of the thin wire makes less contact in the ends.

It takes very little to damage a cable but most times it is internal to one of the ends. They also can do strange stuff like work and then fail as the metal gets warm and expands.

In any case when a port drops to 100mbps you have 2 possibilities, assuming it is set to auto. It can be a bad cable or the port can be physically bad. Always cheaper to try a new cable than thinking the port is bad.

The port speed negotiation is pretty much a hardware function so some bad program will not affect it.

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
That likely is a fake cable. There is no way it meets the requirements to be a cat7 cable. This is one of the first flat cables that I have seen that tries to claim awg 22. That is actually very thick wire and they are selling it as being thinner than round cables. Every other flat cable I have seen uses awg 30 or 31 which is much thinner than the minimum size or 24 allowed by the ethernet standard.

It doesn't matter even the best cable can go bad. The flat ones tend to fail more because of the thin wire makes less contact in the ends.

It takes very little to damage a cable but most times it is internal to one of the ends. They also can do strange stuff like work and then fail as the metal gets warm and expands.

In any case when a port drops to 100mbps you have 2 possibilities, assuming it is set to auto. It can be a bad cable or the port can be physically bad. Always cheaper to try a new cable than thinking the port is bad.

The port speed negotiation is pretty much a hardware function so some bad program will not affect it.

do you recommend any brands or specific cables I should buy?

Many times it is cheaper to go to the local home improvement store because of the cost to ship 1 cable. You could use these ads as examples of what you need to look for.

Monoprice is known good brand but costs a bit more. They clearly tell you the type and size of the wire. They make it a point to indicate that the cable is eia/tia compliant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-ZerobootCat6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B00Y42E34O

This was hard prices vary a lot because of color ? :) You will have to dig around to see if they have other options.

The first is a stranded cable which is more flexible but it does not have as nice ends on it as the second cable. Note if you ever crimp ends on the cables you need different plugs for stranded and solid cables.

As a note monoprice lately also sells trash cables. They clearly state the wire size is 31awg and unlike some other vendors they do not pretend it is compliant with the standards for Ethernet cable.

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
Many times it is cheaper to go to the local home improvement store because of the cost to ship 1 cable. You could use these ads as examples of what you need to look for.

Monoprice is known good brand but costs a bit more. They clearly tell you the type and size of the wire. They make it a point to indicate that the cable is eia/tia compliant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-ZerobootCat6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B00Y42E34O

This was hard prices vary a lot because of color ? :) You will have to dig around to see if they have other options.

The first is a stranded cable which is more flexible but it does not have as nice ends on it as the second cable. Note if you ever crimp ends on the cables you need different plugs for stranded and solid cables.

As a note monoprice lately also sells trash cables. They clearly state the wire size is 31awg and unlike some other vendors they do not pretend it is compliant with the standards for Ethernet cable.

One last question, this has happened before actually, usually I would fix it by unplugging and plugging my ethernet cord back in, do you know any reason why it just stopped working suddenly?

Ethernet cable that are marginal functional might make better contact in the plug, Could be a wire is cracked internally and slightly shifting it it makes better contact. Hard to say without expensive testing equipment what is wrong with a cable. It is why I always have a spare or two. I have had cable that all I did was unplug it from the pc to clean under the pc and the cable never worked again.