Internet Speed vs Download Speed

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
My DownStream Connection Speed : 33329 kbps
My download speed from speedtest.com is 30Mbps, but when I download from other fast servers (like Nvidia Drivers) my max speed is 3.7Mbps. Should I sew my ISP or apologize? :(

Solution

3.7 MB\s is 29.6 Mb\s so you are getting very close to what you are supposed to be getting ! --- there is a big difference in "B"ytes vs. "b"its when it comes to speed ---- 8 bits make 1 Byte so 3.7 MB is equal to 3.7 x 8 = 29.6 Mb\s -- speed test reports report in Bytes where internet suppliers sell in bits so they can advertise faster speeds (sounds better to say 30 Mb\s instead of 3.7 MB\s even though they are approx the same !!)

tomatthe

Distinguished
You probably meant 3.7MB/s from Nvidia which is right at 30Mb/s and exactly what you are paying for.

Outside of the conversion the download rate also depends on where you are downloading from as it can only run as fast as they can send regardless of your actual download speed.

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

1. Please enhance your english.
2. Wherever I download, it's 3.7MB/s.

3.7 MB\s is 29.6 Mb\s so you are getting very close to what you are supposed to be getting ! --- there is a big difference in "B"ytes vs. "b"its when it comes to speed ---- 8 bits make 1 Byte so 3.7 MB is equal to 3.7 x 8 = 29.6 Mb\s -- speed test reports report in Bytes where internet suppliers sell in bits so they can advertise faster speeds (sounds better to say 30 Mb\s instead of 3.7 MB\s even though they are approx the same !!)

Solution

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

AHH! Now I got it! thanks.
Now am going to call my ISP and keep complaining until I get AT LEAST 10MB/s :pfff: :pfff:

TRENDING THREADS