Internet Speed wired and wifi

peye2000

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I want to ask if someone will explain why,,, I just got this new package from Bright house / Road Runner, supposed to be faster DL and Video streem, But testing all my systems wired and wifi, the network speed is slow up and download on a older laptop HP,, I have a older desk top and it seems to be fast, ( when check with online speed test, road runner, I was hoping someone explain what regulates this speed for different computers, I have 2 routers, one I use only as a switch to a wireless router and other devices, xbox, PSP, SOME things seem to accept and show running at a higher rate,, help me out, where do I learn more on this speed stuff since these are different package deals they are selling to us..? Just want to know I am not paying for something I don't need.... Thanks, Guys... John

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Loading up 50% graphic pages from web will significantly affect how fast your laptop "network" seems to be, as slow hardware will bottleneck elsewhere. What speed are you paying for and what are they delivering on your desktop ? Computers going through 2 routers are at least 2 hops away and in a home setting should not be a significant difference, unless router security set to scan for weird things or blocking outgoing for any reasons. The overall load work on each pc will determine performance speed when connecting to same network. Otherwise no Network speed difference, unless you get gigabit internet service and pc has only 100mb/s NIC.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Everything affects the speed of your Internet.

Speed of PC
Speed of network
Network configuration
Network Usage
Phone line conditions
Quality of modem
The phase of the moon...

In order of normal performance is this. Game system > Desktop > Laptop

The reason is game system is a dedicated function to doing 1 or 2 things. Desktop technology is always going to be more advance then Laptop.

You can look for websites that test your speeds. Keep in mind DSL usually has terrible upload speeds and Ethernet tends to be faster and more reliable then wireless.

The reason for your different machines could be any of the following
1. Usage at that time
2. DSL slowed down
3. Network usage
4. Random occurrence
5. IS one Ethernet and the other wireless?

Bottom line though, let us know what you like to do and what speeds are offered and we can make sure your paying for the right package.