Question Internet speeds keep dropping under 200mb on 1 gb speeds

Jan 27, 2022
Hey all, wondering if I could get some feedback on possible solutions to my issue. I have Wow internet and recently upgraded to 1 gigabyte service. I purchased a new Docsis 3.1 modem to support it (Netgear Nighthawk CM1200).

Registered it with Wow, and speeds clocked in around 1GB for a few hours. Then it drops below 200 mb/s. I refreshed the signal and the speed would go back up to 1Gb, but again after an hour or so - it would drop back down under 200 mb/s.

I went through all the support questions and trials with Wow tech support (connecting directly to my computer, resetting, restarting, etc) and nothing resolved the problem. It would start at the right speeds, then drop.
So to problem solve, I returned the modem and picked up a Surfboard SB8200. Same exact problem.

Here’s what my event log shows after a refresh of signal:

Event Level 4 "SW upgrade Failed before download - FTP Max Retry Exceeded"

Event Level 6 "SW Download INIT - Via NMS"

Event Level 5
"REG-RSP-MP Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP
Provided Value:CM-MAC=….”

And what the event log shows after the speeds drop under 200mb/s:

Event Level 6
"CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 1; Chan ID: 15; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr:
N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=…”

Event Level 5
"DD message timeout;CM-MAC=….”

And that event log just repeats itself every few minutes continuously.

I think I’ve ruled out my modem. My router is TP-Link Deco x60 mesh. Running Windows 10 fully updated on my computer. I’ve connected the internet directly to my computer without the router, so I don’t think it’s the router. I’m going to also switch out Ethernet cables as soon as the new ones come in.

In the meantime though, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try - or what I could say to Wow, to try to get to the root of this problem?

Jan 27, 2022
Ok, have a bit of an update. I turned off my computer which was wired via Cat6 to the router and restarted my modem and left the computer off for a few hours. My Wi-Fi strength has held steady at around 800 mb/s speed for the past few hours.
So now I’m wondering if it is my computer somehow slowing down my overall internet speed. But not sure how this is possible, since my modem first goes into my router. Shouldn’t my Wi-Fi still be fast if my computer internet is slow (since the computer is second in line)? I’ve also reviewed the bandwidth use on my router while my computer is running, and specifically monitored my computer and it hasn’t been pulling any additional bandwidth to make my speeds so drastically under 1 gb/s (that would mean something is causing my speeds to drop under 200mb/s while not showing any bandwidth usage). So has anyone heard of a computer throttling their internet with no signs of it actually using more bandwidth via apps or malware, etc? Now I’m really confused.

ASK THE COMMUNITY