Internet Speeds Possibly Decreased from Torrenting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2018
Hi, I was lazy one time and torrented a game I already own because I was too lazy to get all the expansions together and thought it would just be easier. Well, I got a warning and since then, my internet has been noticeably slower. I have to have the ethernet chord plugged in just for it to load faster and even then it doesn't make much of a difference.
I am on an internet essential plan with comcast for 10 dollars. It used to be super fast at 17 download speed. Now it's at like 15 download speed and it takes 30 mins just to download a 2gb file...
Well, what should I do? Should I call comcast and tell them I am going to shut it off if this doesn't change? I would appreciate a warning first, not just having my speeds secretly lowered... Kind of annoyed. I am willing to pay more from a different service provider if they aren't going to fix this problem.
I don't normally torrent, but I already owned the game and it's a hassle to get everything together. Feel like jussttelling them I had company spend the night and they abused my internet priveledges or something. It's none of their business really. lol

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your ISP absolutely will throttle you for torrenting. No question.

This is why many people use proxy (and other) services to anonymize and to encrypt traffic while doing so. Even then, with the traffic volume they see going across encrypted they will sometimes throttle anyway. Charter is like King of doing that.

Most of the time if you "act right" for a couple of days they will quit throttling. It's kinda like the pee pee smack for being bad.

Jun 25, 2018

Well, hope there's more to it than just waiting. Because it's been over two weeks and it still seems to be running slow... I haven't done anything else since. I did research on the VPN, though because I was naive and thought getting caught was rare.. So I installed that, but haven't actually used it much. Don't know if the internet provider would know I visited that website and installed that app... I also looked up other torrents recently, but I have not actually downloaded any or used utorrent since then...

Jun 25, 2018

A trusted site called Games4TheWorld. And I am on another PC now because that one had a spill so I have to send it in for repairs. lol
It seems to be slow on any device. Even my roommate has commented on it before while using his laptop, so doubt it's the computer.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

When a torrent might have happened on our network, it was not uncommon to be throttled through the remainder of the billing period. Someone tried to use TorGuard in an attempt to hide said activity and it still did not work as a permanent solution. Since then, PAY services, and no throttling. Used to rather tick me off, cause I knew it but the kids wouldn't listen and it's darn hard to keep up with all the rotating proxies they knew....lol

rgd1101

Don't

Read the forum rule. we don't support pirated content

Status
Not open for further replies.