Internet Speeds Possibly Decreased from Torrenting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2018
Hi, I was lazy one time and torrented a game I already own because I was too lazy to get all the expansions together and thought it would just be easier. Well, I got a warning and since then, my internet has been noticeably slower. I have to have the ethernet chord plugged in just for it to load faster and even then it doesn't make much of a difference.
I am on an internet essential plan with comcast for 10 dollars. It used to be super fast at 17 download speed. Now it's at like 14 download speed and it takes 30 mins just to download a 2gb file...
Well, what should I do? Should I call comcast and tell them I am going to shut it off if this doesn't change? I would appreciate a warning first, not just having my speeds secretly lowered... Kind of annoyed. I am willing to pay more from a different service provider if they aren't going to fix this problem.
I don't normally torrent, but I already owned the game and it's a hassle to get everything together. Feel like jussttelling them I had company spend the night and they abused my internet priveledges or something. It's none of their business really. lol
Unplugged from ethernet, the computer takes several hours to download a 2GB file.
note: It is not pirated content, it is legal content. Thank you.

What type of warning did you get?
By the way the Comcast Internet Essential Plan is for low income households, which allows up to 15 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up Internet service (in some states it has increased to 25 Mbps and 1 TB data allowance). Comcast will not even blink if you decide to cancel the service, since they can charge 3x more for their lowest cost basic plan.
It does not matter if you own the game. The issue is that most torrent apps allows others to get access to the files you have downloaded and the ones you are currently downloading. So you are pretty much distributing the game to others that might have not purchased the game of whatever title you are downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.