[SOLVED] Internet speeds should be much faster than they are

weeks.

Prominent
Oct 23, 2018
When I download a game on steam or another platform my speeds vary but can be from 500 kilobytes to 5 megabytes. My internet speed is always 300 megabits or more so I should get around 30-40 megabytes of download speed right? I don't know much about internet speeds but just based off of little research I feel that my speed is way slower than it should and that my guess of 30-40 megabytes per second is accurate. Just for clarification, I use ethernet and no other devices are running other than my computer when downloading free games and running speed tests. Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you are getting 300Mbit on speed tests, and you are paying for 300Mbit service, then you are getting what you pay for.

If the location hosting your download does not have 300Mbit of available bandwidth, then you will be limited by the far end. There is nothing you can do about that.

It is possible, that your download speeds are being limited on your computer by some type of "game optimizer" software. If you have Killer network hardware of have the motherboard manufacturer's game network optimizer software loaded, then that could be slowing your downloads.

kanewolf

Titan
If you are getting 300Mbit on speed tests, and you are paying for 300Mbit service, then you are getting what you pay for.

If the location hosting your download does not have 300Mbit of available bandwidth, then you will be limited by the far end. There is nothing you can do about that.

It is possible, that your download speeds are being limited on your computer by some type of "game optimizer" software. If you have Killer network hardware of have the motherboard manufacturer's game network optimizer software loaded, then that could be slowing your downloads.

Solution