Internet speeds slower on PC than all other devices

Skinners

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
I have BT Infinity, and doing speed tests on my phone and other devices I get download speeds of around 50 mbps with around 14mbps upload, and on my Xbox when downloading games I also get around these speeds the majority of the time.

However, on my PC, doing multiple speed tests on different days and at different times, I can never get higher than around 14 mbps download and 14 mbps upload. So the upload speed seems to stay the same, (sometimes the upload is higher than the download on my PC) however the download speeds seem to be much lower than the normal. This is concurrent with steam downloads, as I always get download speeds of around 13-14 mbps

I am using ethernet from a TP Link AV500 extender but I also have a WiFi adapter connected (both are capable of speeds well over 50 mbps so I don't think its that), and I have speed tested with both, and they both give the same results of the 14 mbps down and 14 mbps up.

Can someone please help me as to why my download speeds are so much lower on my PC than other devices?

PhotoshopLOL

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Check the QoS (Quality of Service) on your router, I'm not very familiar with your particular model but I'm sure you'll find it somewhere in the admin panel of your router. afaik, QoS regulates how much bandwidth each client gets through ports and applications. Although the QoS system varies on every router, it's worth a check.

Skinners

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

I have a BT Business Hub 5, and although it says QoS is available in the specifications of the router, I cannot find it anywhere in the admin panel of my router. It may just be me being very stupid (although I don't see how it can be), but it seems that I am unable to change any QoS settings on my router, as there is no option to anywhere in the BT Hub manager.
Thanks anyway for your help.

TRENDING THREADS