Question Internet suddenly starting going out a bunch of times everyday, but restarting the router fixes it.

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
So suddenly and randomly, our whole internet to our house would go out (all ethernet/wifi) and at first I thought maybe it was a service disruption by our ISP or someone in the house disconnected the wire. but after restarting my router it started working again. then it started happening again every few hours. I even tested it last night before bed by not doing anything, and seeing if the internet would be up when i woke up. It wasnt. but right after restarting the router again it worked fine. I tried googling some answers but didnt really find anything except overheating. however I checked the router/modem after it stops working. it wasnt hot really.
does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? its been happening every few hours, and has been super annoying.

my router is ASUS RT-AC68U and ive only had it for less than a year.

streemingcoat67

Prominent
Mar 23, 2022
So suddenly and randomly, our whole internet to our house would go out (all ethernet/wifi) and at first I thought maybe it was a service disruption by our ISP or someone in the house disconnected the wire. but after restarting my router it started working again. then it started happening again every few hours. I even tested it last night before bed by not doing anything, and seeing if the internet would be up when i woke up. It wasnt. but right after restarting the router again it worked fine. I tried googling some answers but didnt really find anything except overheating. however I checked the router/modem after it stops working. it wasnt hot really.
does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? its been happening every few hours, and has been super annoying.

you should try to reset the router but if you cant cuz of isp issues i would also recommend you do a bios reinstall or flash newer bios as that might just fix it, Here is the link to asus website for drivers

streemingcoat67

Prominent
Mar 23, 2022

if you have many wired devices you should remove each one and test the router maybe for some reason a connected device is breaking something in the router it could also be a faulty ethernet wire as well i have seen bad ethernet wires causing the router to lose its config so whatever you do just be cautious and if your confused watch YouTube videos they help a lot

USAFRet

Titan

Have you contacted your ISP?
If it is ALL devices, the problem is either your router, or something upstream that only the ISP can fix.

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
So apparently the problem is ASUS routers. there are a ton of reported problems by other people starting yesterday (like me). sounds like they pushed some update (even tho i have updates off?) and its causing their firmware to crash. so Ill have to wait for an updated firmware or use the tempory fix people provided.

Just use a stable Merlin firmware, it's much better. Loads just like regular firmware, you don't have to do anything special to the router. You can also load factory firmware back onto it later once the update comes out. Here's the link: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

How fast is your internet? If it's less than 300mbps, you should try out CAKE in the QOS of the Merlin firmware.

HalKatz

Honorable
Oct 2, 2016
Updating to the latest firmware seems to have fixed it for me (RT-AC86U). Auto-update was disabled, and the firmware was a couple years old, so the problem wasn't a new firmware issue. From bits and pieces I've put together from different internet posts, I think Asus made a change on their side (firewall definitions, maybe?), and perhaps hadn't tested thoroughly enough with non-latest firmware versions. A comment from a Merlin dev made it sound like older versions of the Merlin firmware could run into the same problem. (Rumors, all rumors!)

FWIW: https://www.downtowndougbrown.com/2023/05/what-happened-with-asus-routers-this-morning/