Internet super slow over wifi for all devices but fast over ethernet

Feb 20, 2018
I've recently purchased a new D-Link router (in Egypt) and I wouldn't be surprised if it were not an original copy, since it's become so slow over wifi, but over ethernet it's fine (that goes for all devices and not just one). But what confuses me is that even the access point's wifi is slow. So my question is.. shouldn't the access point have its own wireless antenna and not be affected by the router's if they're both connected by cable? If not, then I think I'll have to buy a new one :/

Solution
If the router is wonky already, it is possible that as well as wifi, it is also throwing out interference (noise). This interference could be messing with your access point (if I understand your setup, you have the wifi router and a secondary access point somewhere else in the house). An easy test would be to turn the WiFi on the router off and see if speeds increase for devices connected to the access point.

If the ethernet side of the router is working fine, then you wouldn't necessarily need to replace it, but you might need another access point to get full WiFi coverage in the house.
If the router is wonky already, it is possible that as well as wifi, it is also throwing out interference (noise). This interference could be messing with your access point (if I understand your setup, you have the wifi router and a secondary access point somewhere else in the house). An easy test would be to turn the WiFi on the router off and see if speeds increase for devices connected to the access point.

If the ethernet side of the router is working fine, then you wouldn't necessarily need to replace it, but you might need another access point to get full WiFi coverage in the house.

Solution
Feb 20, 2018

Thank you so much! It seems that the probability of interference might be the problem here since it's not that terrible all of the time. Right now it's alright so I'll have to wait until the speed over wifi drops again to try your solution out :) Thank you again!

Feb 20, 2018

Unfortunately, the router seems to be the problem and I'll have to buy a new one.