[SOLVED] Internet to Outbuilding over Coax??

Oct 15, 2020
This may be middle school stuff but.... I live in a home on acreage, my outbuilding is about 75 feet away. Comcast ran me a coax line about a year ago when I needed interent to the building only, it runs from the main box at my house. Now I need internet in my house so I moved my Modem/router. So I don't have service in my Building and a second modem is not the solution because of double payments. How do I set up a simple network to get internet from my HOUSE moden / router to the outbuilding which has an office and security cameras that I want to access remotely.

i have read alot about Moca, i think that is the solution but it is a bit of an expense. If moca is the solution modem > ethernet > moca >coax to outbuilding > moca? then what is my next piece of hardware?

I want to hardwire to my two camera dvr's, run an ethernet to my rv and possibly offer wi-fi for when I am working or need connectivity.

The house is concrete block and the building is steel so an exterior wi-fi extended would not work, and i have not had great success with a netgear wi-fi extender at another house. Besides I have that Brand New Co-ax already buried courtesy of comcast.

If Moca is the solution do I need to adjust any settings on my modem/router?

PS I believe in the K.I.S.S. method

Solution
Look at the units from gocoax they are a bit cheaper and you should get full gigabit rates on them.

There really is nothing going to be cheaper. you can use point to point wireless but it will still cost at least $100 and will not be as fast as moca.

The moca appears the same as a ethernet cable. You just pretend the 2 moca units and coax are a cable coupler. You depending on what you need in the remote building. 1 pc you just plug in directly. If you need wifi or mulitple pc you can use a router running as a AP.

Check your modem/router some of the high end devices have moca adapters built into them. Would save you the cost of 1 moca adapter.

kanewolf

Titan
This may be middle school stuff but.... I live in a home on acreage, my outbuilding is about 75 feet away. Comcast ran me a coax line about a year ago when I needed interent to the building only, it runs from the main box at my house. Now I need internet in my house so I moved my Modem/router. So I don't have service in my Building and a second modem is not the solution because of double payments. How do I set up a simple network to get internet from my HOUSE moden / router to the outbuilding which has an office and security cameras that I want to access remotely.

i have read alot about Moca, i think that is the solution but it is a bit of an expense. If moca is the solution modem > ethernet > moca >coax to outbuilding > moca? then what is my next piece of hardware?

I want to hardwire to my two camera dvr's, run an ethernet to my rv and possibly offer wi-fi for when I am working or need connectivity.

The house is concrete block and the building is steel so an exterior wi-fi extended would not work, and i have not had great success with a netgear wi-fi extender at another house. Besides I have that Brand New Co-ax already buried courtesy of comcast.

If Moca is the solution do I need to adjust any settings on my modem/router?

PS I believe in the K.I.S.S. method
MoCA is the industry standard approach. It would wire as such modem -> router - ethernet cable -> MoCA adapter - coax - MoCA adapter - ethernet cable -> devices

Look at the units from gocoax they are a bit cheaper and you should get full gigabit rates on them.

There really is nothing going to be cheaper. you can use point to point wireless but it will still cost at least $100 and will not be as fast as moca.

The moca appears the same as a ethernet cable. You just pretend the 2 moca units and coax are a cable coupler. You depending on what you need in the remote building. 1 pc you just plug in directly. If you need wifi or mulitple pc you can use a router running as a AP.

Check your modem/router some of the high end devices have moca adapters built into them. Would save you the cost of 1 moca adapter.

Solution