[SOLVED] Internet to Power slowing speeds?!

Jan 30, 2021
So I had an internet tech come to my house to put my router downstairs in the basement office because my office is down there and needs a wired connection. The Router would be on a shelf right below the 1st floor, which is hanging ceiling, and there are no pipes above it. He insisted the internet speeds would be terrible for wifi for anything upstairs. That an internet to power adapter would work perfectly fine.
Well I just bought my adapter and its good for 1000mbps and I'm getting 30 MBPS HERE. I pay for 1gb download and the internet to power is giving my pc 30 mbps downloadspeed and 80mbps upload? I don't understand how thats possible.
Does anyone have any tricks or tips to increase speed?
I put it on a wall plug close to the plug upstairs... I only have it plugged in by itself to the wall plug. I've reset it aswell. My phone is getting 200mbps downstairs on wifi.

Solution
Powerline adapters really have to work some magic to get their speeds, and I don't think even the newest ones will get real-world speeds better than 200-250Mbps.

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Hey there, sounds like the "Tech" guy, was too lazy to pull, a ethernet/LAN cable to your basement. Which will guarantee you the 1Gbit connection.
Or maybe it's more than a 100meters, of cable? Either way, the Internet Power Adapters are rated "Up to ...Mbits/s" meaning you'll never get that speed in real life scenario.

What Power Adapter have you bought? What is your existing hardware, router, modem?

From what I know, Power Adapters, can be more pretentious, then Wi-Fi.
  • They must connect directly to an electrical outlet: Powerline adapters don’t work properly when connected to surge protectors, power strips, or UPS units.
  • Avoid power outlets managed by AFCI and GFCI breakers: Arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) and Ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) breakers can reduce performance by up to 50%.
  • They shouldn’t share the same outlet with devices that produce electrical “noise”: These devices include chargers, fluorescent lights, and electric appliances.
  • And Ideally they have to be on the same circuit/power line.

P.S.: Call the "Tech" guy again and tell him, to come over and get you this 1Gbit, with the Power Line Adapters. If he real "Tech", he'll start pulling the cable to your basement, right away.