Internet turning off randomly and constantly for the past few months??? Details inside :)

Maximoford

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
My internet has been turning off randomly, sometimes staying on for a couple of hours, mostly turning off every 20-60 mins and sometimes turning off as soon as it's booted up again (I restart the router every time it dies). This is affecting multiple devices in the home, not just my PC (which is connected wirelessly).

It gets especially bad when I try to play CS:GO, and during rounds my ping with constantly fluctuate from 50 to 100/200 to 700+ and I will randomly time out, sometimes able to join back instantly, but often having to restart the router and wait a few minutes.

Specs as per the rules post thingy says:
Router: BThub3
Network card: TP-LINK TL-WN781ND (cheap, like £8 Amazon).
Mobo: MSI Z97 PC Mate
PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Bronze

What could the problem possibly be? Would a new router or network card help? Would switching to e.g. Sky with Fibre etc. solve all my problems? I've been living with this for months now and we've also had SO MANY problems with BT over the years and I am just done with this...

We used to get between 8 and 14mbps down and about 6+ up relatively consistently, but even when the internet is supposedly working 'fine' nowadays, I am very lucky if it's over 6mb down and it can be only 1-3 sometimes (again, this is when it isn't turning itself off randomly (the router usually doesn't appear to know it has died with the typical blinking lights or anything though)).

Solution
yeah Powerline network adapters are a good idea but if you are on different floors then that will not work as far as I know.

Maximoford

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

My PC is upstairs and the router and internet access point downstairs on the other side of the house. It's too far away and I don't know what to do about it (although wired would definitely be preferable)