[SOLVED] Internet usage per device

ewolfman

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Hi,

I have Linksys EA7500 router. Turns out that it lacks the feature of tracking Internet Usage per device ( :mad: :mad: ).
Besides frustration that such an old feature does not exist, is there any app that can help do this? I would like to be able to see which internet usage per device in order to know which devices 'kill' the network at home for the other devices.

Thanks.

Solution
Pretty much the router has to do this function since it is the only central point. The router either has the feature or it does not. There is no way to load a program into a router.

Asus routers have this feature but you will find it does not actually work and this maybe the reason many routers do not have it. The reason is that almost all routers use a feature that allows traffic to bypass the CPU for performance reasons. Since the CPU never sees the traffic it can not run reports on usage. You can turn this bypass feature off but you then cap your speed to about 250-300mbps and lower on many models.

If you have a slower internet connection you could look into a different router otherwise you are going to have to use a...
Pretty much the router has to do this function since it is the only central point. The router either has the feature or it does not. There is no way to load a program into a router.

Asus routers have this feature but you will find it does not actually work and this maybe the reason many routers do not have it. The reason is that almost all routers use a feature that allows traffic to bypass the CPU for performance reasons. Since the CPU never sees the traffic it can not run reports on usage. You can turn this bypass feature off but you then cap your speed to about 250-300mbps and lower on many models.

If you have a slower internet connection you could look into a different router otherwise you are going to have to use a PC which has a much more powerful processor to directly process the traffic.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I have Linksys EA7500 router. Turns out that it lacks the feature of tracking Internet Usage per device ( :mad::mad: ).
Besides frustration that such an old feature does not exist, is there any app that can help do this? I would like to be able to see which internet usage per device in order to know which devices 'kill' the network at home for the other devices.

Thanks.
I don't see any alternate firmware for that device. You are out of luck with that router.