internet ...viewing web pages

The page cannot be displayed...how do i rid my internet
web pages coming up with areas of the screen with the
message...The page cannot be displayed....
What have I mistakenly altered for viewing web pages?
Thanks for your time
Gary

Is it possible that your hosts file has been modified or
replaced ? The symptom you describe can be a result of a
hosts file that re-directs advertising addresses to the
localhost (null), thus, the advertising does not appear
and the result is the message you see on-screen in place
of the advertising. I rather like it myself . . .

See this:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Good Luck !