Question Internet wifi speed is 1/5th after pc reset, goes up 5x after Flush DNS

Jan 22, 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS
System type x64
Windows 10
MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921 Wireless LAN Card
Realtek USB Gbe Family Controller #2

Issue: Internet speed is 20% of what it is supposed to be after restarting PC. Issue has been happening for a few weeks now

I've tried restarting router, disconnecting/reconnecting wifi but speed remains the same (on speedtest)

Once I complete Flush DNS, Register DNS etc. commands on CMD, internet speed goes back up to where it is supposed to be

What could be causing these issues? I've attached a pic of the internet speed tests before and after Flush DNS

I only have Windows Security installed and no other software, no programs on startup that could be impacting this

It would be strange that it has any affect. Speedtest does not really use DNS other than to open the session. Once it get the IP of the server the traffic goes directly and dns is no longer used.

You have to be very careful about running some of the so called optimizer your find on the internet. If you manually changed thing then you would know what to change back but when you run something that changes a bunch of stuff it can make a mess for you.

Have you tried this on ethernet to see if it is just wifi related or if it might be something else.

Jan 22, 2023
It would be strange that it has any affect. Speedtest does not really use DNS other than to open the session. Once it get the IP of the server the traffic goes directly and dns is no longer used.

You have to be very careful about running some of the so called optimizer your find on the internet. If you manually changed thing then you would know what to change back but when you run something that changes a bunch of stuff it can make a mess for you.

Have you tried this on ethernet to see if it is just wifi related or if it might be something else.

I have backed up all changes that I made with TCPOptimizer and could always go to default, I'll give that a go and see if that changes anything

I haven't tried connecting directly with ethernet cable but will try that too