Internet Wired and Wireless Network Setup

F10 Catherine

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Hello
We have a small business and we are looking at our network. All the machines need to be on the local network but we don't want all the machines on the internet. We do want some laptops on wifi and some pc's on wired connection.

We have a router which is feeding the laptops the wifi so that is all fine. We then have wired the router to the switch which the PC's we want on the internet are connected to and it doesn't seem to feed the internet into this still.

I believe some of the issue may be that the router only allows DCHP or not - it may be that we cant have both wired and wifi through the router? In which case i think i have heard that you can get a separate box that wires into the router to get around this.

Any solutions or ideas welcome! I do also have a basic diagram of our setup but i cant find how to upload this to you.

Thanks

Solution
You need to have your switch connected to the LAN port of your router to get local DHCP to work. You then need to use the firewall rules to prevent the WIRED PCs from having internet access. If your current router can't do that, you may need a better router. A business class router that supports VLANs would be the best solution. Put the wired PCs into a VLAN that doesn't have internet access.

kanewolf

Titan
You need to have your switch connected to the LAN port of your router to get local DHCP to work. You then need to use the firewall rules to prevent the WIRED PCs from having internet access. If your current router can't do that, you may need a better router. A business class router that supports VLANs would be the best solution. Put the wired PCs into a VLAN that doesn't have internet access.

Solution