Internet wont stay connected, requires router restart constantly

Oct 15, 2018
We have multiple computers, phones and devices on our home network wifi using a modem/router (netgear CG3000D). Sometimes one or two devices will connect to the internet and none of the others and at other times nothing will connect. Usually works for a while after resetting the router or doing a factory reset on it but the problem comes back. Cable company suggested it is interference and to buy a dual band router. Any solution besides buying new equipment.

Oct 15, 2018

They are connected to the router, just no internet access. The status lights don't change on the router.

it is an old router and depending on how many devices are trying to connect to it at once may be making it crash. if the devices connecting to the router have grown since you first got it then it is possible the router can no longer handle your bandwidth demands.

the only thing i can suggest is check to see if there is a firmware update for the router

I'd say the next step is to see if your LAN works. File sharing between computers on your network, network printing and anything else which does not require the internet. Also try to open the web interface for your router (should be your router's IP Address). Then see if you can check what it's internet status is. It should also give statistics on your cable modems signal strength and a bunch of other info.

That appears to be an ISP supplied modem/router. As far as I can tell. Netgear provides no support for it.