[SOLVED] Internet works when brand new router is bypassed

Under educated User

Commendable
Oct 21, 2019
The internet went out today and I was able to determine that the issue must be with the router after bypassing it. So I went and got a new router and connected it to the POE and power-cycled the radio. But during setup, the router keeps saying that it cannot detect an internet signal. Which is weird since the internet works when I connect it to my laptop. So I replaced the network cable with a brand new one that came with the new router and the router still cannot detect an internet signal from the cable. What the heck is going on?

Solution
PoE is Power over Ethernet normally.

Basically normally an ISP gives you a gateway which allows you to connect to the internet. This is a router and switch in one. The mac address of the gateway is allowed access to the network. So if you connect a new router it won't be able to connect.

With my ISP I can set my gateway to modem mode and connect my own router. So long as I have my own router connected to the right port on the modem I will get an IP address assigned and have access to the internet. Sometimes, if I want to change the router, then I must power cycle the modem. The modem acts like another router and has DHCP.

With cables, he is using a normal cat5 straight cable? Normally it does not matter, good network...

Under educated User

Commendable
Oct 21, 2019
I'm putting the internet cord from the gigabit data port on the POE into the internet port on the router. The router is a Linksys EA7300. And the POE is just a POE, one cord goes into the wall to power the radio and the other one is supposed to go into the router. But when I plug the cord into the router, the router doesn't seem to be able to detect the cord (the lights on the port that light up to signify that a connection is made and data is being transported). I've tried it with a known good spare (cat 5e) I just purchased but the same thing happens.

zx128k

Reputable

Basically normally an ISP gives you a gateway which allows you to connect to the internet. This is a router and switch in one. The mac address of the gateway is allowed access to the network. So if you connect a new router it won't be able to connect.

With my ISP I can set my gateway to modem mode and connect my own router. So long as I have my own router connected to the right port on the modem I will get an IP address assigned and have access to the internet. Sometimes, if I want to change the router, then I must power cycle the modem. The modem acts like another router and has DHCP.

With cables, he is using a normal cat5 straight cable? Normally it does not matter, good network devices can detect and work around some cable issues. Like the wrong cable type, for example crossover needed but straight through cable used. Router to router connections require a crossover cable. My modem and router can work with straight through cables. So can my Cisco routers when they are connected together.

He states, "the router doesn't seem to be able to detect the cord" There are no lights which implies there can be no hope in the world. There are two reasons for this to happen, 1. there is no physical connection on the internet port on the router and/or 2. The router is not powered on or the device at the other end is not powered on. Sometimes it can take a network device a long time to boot. With my modem its only at the end of the boot cycle that the physical ports start working. This takes a few mins.

So when he connects the laptop to the modem then the internet works? This connection would require a crossover normally. You have a Router connected to a workstation.

We know at least one router is powered on because of the statement "the router keeps saying that it cannot detect an internet signal." Is the laptop connected via wifi to the router?

Now if the laptop can connect to the internet via the port on the modem then the internet port on the router should be able to get an IP address and default gateway.

The ports on the back can be seen here, https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-EA7300/

You need to troubleshoot the physical setup at this point. You may need to contract your ISP for help.

Solution
Be mindful when you connect your laptop directly to your broadband connection you are directly on the ISP network (personally I would max out the firewall settings)...

Reset the router in question and direct-connect to ethernet (non-wan) port and try to login to the admin page and confirm it's working. Make sure your wan/broadband type is correct (PPPoE / DHCP etc.) for your ISP plan, should be good to go when you connect up the wan port.

good point, I was thinking was connecting to a modem and just went through my settings (FIOS), I have to release my MAC addr if I want to connect up a new router or wait a few hours for it to expire. Also possible the laptop got the MAC lease when it was connected to test the connection, and you have to wait it out or contact the ISP to manually reset the MAC lease.

zx128k

Reputable
Be mindful when you connect your laptop directly to your broadband connection you are directly on the ISP network (personally I would max out the firewall settings)...

Reset the router in question and direct-connect to ethernet (non-wan) port and try to login to the admin page and confirm it's working. Make sure your wan/broadband type is correct (PPPoE / DHCP etc.) for your ISP plan, should be good to go when you connect up the wan port.

good point, I was thinking was connecting to a modem and just went through my settings (FIOS), I have to release my MAC addr if I want to connect up a new router or wait a few hours for it to expire. Also possible the laptop got the MAC lease when it was connected to test the connection, and you have to wait it out or contact the ISP to manually reset the MAC lease.

For me I am lucky the modem does not care about the mac address and just assigns an IP address. The modem itself is the mac address that the ISP validates. So when I connect the router to the modem, it acts as a DHCP server and sends the information to my router.

The issue the OP states is the internet port on the router has no led's lit which could imply not physical working connection. This is then backed up with the statement that the router gives for no internet connection.

Seems like we should verify the physical setup or start at the bottom of the OSI model (physical layer) and work our way up.