[SOLVED] Bandwidth up and down ?

diliptimblo

Reputable
Oct 29, 2018
We asked our Internet provider for the following information But he does not understand what it means. Can you help put it in simpler language:
We have two internet connections. Can you tell me if the bandwidth is symmetrical or not? If the bandwidth is not symmetrical then what sort of bandwidth is it?

Solution
We asked our Internet provider for the following information But he does not understand what it means. Can you help put it in simpler language:
We have two internet connections. Can you tell me if the bandwidth is symmetrical or not? If the bandwidth is not symmetrical then what sort of bandwidth is it?
Rather than asking if the bandwidth is symmetric, just ask for the upload and download bandwidth allocations., Make your own interpretation. If they are similar then it is symmetric, if download is 10X the upload (typical asymmetric) then they are not.

Wolfshadw

Titan
To me, "two internet connections" mean two separate modems. Assuming the same hardware, internet service, and functionality between both set ups, then the bandwidth should be identical. Throughput, on the other hand, is going to depend on how much data is going through each modem. If you have five computers connected to modem 1 and only one computer connected to modem 2, then you'd probably notice a difference.

I would also note that most internet providers (that I'm aware of) don't allow this kind of set up without having two separate lines coming into your home.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: diliptimblo

kanewolf

Titan
Rather than asking if the bandwidth is symmetric, just ask for the upload and download bandwidth allocations., Make your own interpretation. If they are similar then it is symmetric, if download is 10X the upload (typical asymmetric) then they are not.

Solution