haw

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
New to this site and have not checked all the questions and comments yet, but I have a need. I have a Win2000 Server network with PCs running XP, 2000 and 98 OS's, all connected to a 10/100 switch. I am ordering a DSL line and want all the computers to access the internet. How do I connect the DSL to allow internet access to all the PCs? Do I have to change my static ip addresses on my LAN?

Help Plz!!!

cisco_sleeper

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Ok this shouldnt be very hard. Depending on your ISP, they may give you a router/switch and a modem. IF they dont, youll need to go go buy them. Now, the most of the wired cable/dsl routers have a switch built on to them, most of the time a 4 port switch. It is possible to add up to 253 more computers to this router. All you need to do is take a cross-over network cable, plug it into the switch on your router and then plug it into your extra switch you bought. Youll loose two ports(one on the router/switch and one on your extra switch) from the connection with the crossover. Now about your ip problem. The router provides a function called NAT. This stands for network address translation. The whole point of this feature is to enable a site to use one "real" IP address. Since there are a limited number of unquie IP addresses, nat was bought about so you can assign your own private addresses. All you needed was one real ip address to connect to the internet. So the device that gets this one real ip address is your router. All your PCs, servers, and everything else that connects to the switch on the router will have an ip address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.253. The 192.168.1.X are called the private ip addresses. Now make note of this, your router also gets one of these private ips, depending on who made your router it will prolly be 192.168.1.1(this ip address is known as the gateway to the server, desktop PCs and whatever else is connected to your network), the instruction book will tell you so read it carefully. Then the 2nd ip address is the real ip that your ISP assigns to you. Your router will basicly act as a middle man. The outside world never sees your private ip addresses, they only see your one real ip that you get from you ISP. So all the requests made by all the computers on your network will look like they have been made by one single ip. Your router will remember who requested what so each computer gets what they asked for. If you got serveral static ip addresses, your prolly paying for them. Really, you only need one static IP to give to your router so you can cancel all but one of the static ips. Remember you will set your server and desktops to the private ip address. And the private ips are determined by what private ip the router starts with, and that is in the instruction booklet of the router. Like i said, the router will prolly be 192.168.2.1. Just make when you assign the private ips you keep them in the same IP network. In english that means just keep the first 3 numbers that are separated by dots the same, such as 192.168.2. So assuming your router starts with the 192.168.2.1, the first address you would give to a any PC on your network would be 192.168.2.2, then the next computer or server would be 192.168.2.3 and so on. Well i hope i made this clear enough to where you understand it, if you dont ill try to clear it up for you
Hope this helps, -andy

They should make a brand of clothing called Cisco Router and Switch... Yah, that beats the hell out of Ambercrombie and whatever...

haw

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
The information you gave is a big help. Now let me see if I understand what you're saying.
1. I have an existing LAN connected by a 10/100 ethernet switch
2. I want to install DSL so all PCs can hit the internet
3. The ISP sends me a 1 port DSL modem
4. I buy a Linksys 4 port DSL Cable/Router
5. I connect the DSL modem to the WAN port on the Linksys router
6. Do I then take the Crossover cable, connect it to the Uplink port on the DSL Router and to the 10/110 Switch?
Do I enable DHCP on the Linksys or do I assign static IPs?

Thanks for the help.

By the way...Is there such a thing as an IP address sending out too much traffic? If so, what do I need to track the IP address and how do I stop all the broadcasts?

cisco_sleeper

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
You can use a crossover cable i think, but i know a straight threw cable would work. The router should be auto sensing so any cable should work. DHCP will be enable by default, i normally set static IPs so if one computer needs a port opened its a lot easier to administer it. So its up to you wether to use static ips for your computers... If you do use static IPs remember about the network address. Depending on the router it prolly is 192.168.1.X, dink normally puts theirs at 192.168.0.X just read your mannual for the router. If you set static ips make sure they start with the first 3 numbers all the same like 192.168.1 or 192.168.0.. Your router will have the first one like 192.168.1.1 so dont give any computers that address, that will be the computers gateway address...
If you have any problems getting it to work just post up your problems

-The sleeper

They should make a brand of clothing called Cisco Router and Switch... Yah, that beats the hell out of Ambercrombie and whatever...

McDouglas

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
He said he has a win2k server. Why should he buy a dsl router if he can simply set up a NAT on the server (which i suppose runs 24/7...the way a server should do). The dsl modem can be plugged simply in the existing switch, the pppoe will coexists vith the lan stucture without problem.

cisco_sleeper

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
well i guess he could but from what it sounds like he doesnt have the knowledge to do that... I mean not just any dummy can go in there and mess with 2k server. I thought this was easiest for him to setup... Although it could save maybe 40 dollars for the router... But if he doesnt know how to setup the server its going to cost some money to have someone else come in and do it. Im personally not good with server either, i configure cisco routers and switches as my name says :) ... But yah mcdouglas does have a point there... Unless im wrong and you do know how to use server, mcdouglas's suggestion would be cheaper...

the sleeper

haw

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
Hey Man, you guys are good! You're right! I would have to perform trial and error work to configure NAT on the server. However, I have a server that I practice on to try all these things so I won't have downtime {or plenty of}when I add to the server. Incidentally, this server was configured as a Workgroup server. I now want to configure it as a Domain server.