Interplay May Revive Descent and MDK Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Oh man, the Descent games were incredible! After I bought the first, I had to have all the rest all the way through D3's expansion pack. I hope they make another! (I was actually talking to my friend just yesterday about how much fun we used to have playing Descent)

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I loved all the descent's. Real adrenalin rising games. I also miss all the great Microprose games like Covert Action, Lightspeed, and many others I don't recall at the moment,

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Descent was my first and favorite online shooter of all time. I miss the days of planting proximity mines right behind doors and shooting mercury missles with their classic, "ch-waaa" sound. What I miss most of all was having to aim 3 (virtual) feet ahead of the enemy to make up for horrible pings over modem connections (almost as bad as the lag in current COD MW2 games).

Ah, those were the days. Bring them back :).

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Descent is the "Star Trek" of 3d shooters. It was ahead of its time and canceled to the dismay of many but holds a special, warm place in the hearts of those that loved playing it.

"Yes son, this is what computer games looked like when I was a boy..."

pcxt21

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
"Apparently the company is selling millions of shares of Interplay stock to Frederic Chesnais and MicroProse Software"
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't MicroProse go bankrupt and die black in the late 1990's?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I miss playing Descent with my Logitech Cyberman 3D mouse while drunk and turning my stomach until I vomited. Good times!

No really, it was a great game. I think it was the only one that supported my 3D mouse. If this computer had a serial port I could probably plug it in again!

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I remember how amazed I was by the graphics in Descent III. Now I go back and look at them and they look as lame as Mass Effect 2 (lol).

P.S., I paid $50 for ME2 and HATE IT. Graphics look like 10 years ago. I hate when a game gets such great reviews then I buy it and HATE HATE HATE it. I guess I'm spoiled by COD MW2 and Crysis.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
EARTHWORM JIM,
THE SOIL HE DID CRAWL
EARTHWORM JIM,
A SUPER SUIT DID FALL.

JIM WAS JUST A DIRT EATING,
CHEWING LENGTH OF WORM, FLASH
BUT ALL THAT CAME TO A CRASH
AND GAVE HIM LOTS OF POWER

EARTHWORM JIM,
HE'S SUCH A GROOVY GUY
EARTHWORM JIM,
HE ROCKET'S THROUGH THE SKY

CRUISING THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
HAVING LOT'S OF FUN,
HERE COMES EARTHWORM JIM YOU KNOW
THAT HE'S THE MIGHTY ONE
--- LOOK OUT ---

LA LA LA LA, LA LA LA LA, LA LA LA....

DESPITE HIS GREAT BIG MUSCLES
AND HIS REALLY BIG RAY GUN,
JIM IS STILL AN EARTHWORM
BUT THEN HE'S THE ONLY ONE,

WITH A SUPER SUIT TO MAKE HIM REALLY SUPER STRONG,
JIM CAN BE A WINNER IF WE ONLY SING ALONG...
(ALRIGHT)

EARTHWORM JIM,
WE THINK HE'S MIGHTY FINE
EARTHWORM JIM,
A HERO FOR ALL TIME

EARTHWORM,
EARTHWORM,
EARTHWORM,

EARTHWORM, JIM
HOORAY FOR JIMMMMMMMM

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
So this French guy bought the MicroProse name from Atari (who itself is just a name purchased for the games division of Hasbro). And now Interplay who is pretty much just some other French guy, is going to get some developer to make some games using money from the Fallout License and the money the Microprose guy scammed from ??

Yahtzee should be happy that another space sim might be coming out.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
oh man, I have been waiting for a new Descent for many years, all 3 were my favorite games when they came out. I would also love to see some new Freespace as well.

G

Ah, I spent many hours playing Descent and Descent II in good ol' DOS. I also remember a few attempts at multiplayer using a direct dial through my 14.4kbps modem, lol. I wasn't a big fan of the Freespace games, but modernized versions of the originals would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.