Interpreting SMART and Diagnostics

Jul 4, 2018
I've had some coincidental beeps from my laptop over the past few months and it seemed to coincide with the HDD light flashing at the same time so I've thought that maybe something was up with a hard drive. I know drives don't necessarily give off beeps as warnings, so I've just continued on. Flash forward to a week ago: I've been playing Guild Wars 2 and I've had the freeze and crash on me with a dialogue box that pops up and say that an unexpected I/O error has forced the closure of the game. Looking into this problem the GW2 community says either the HDD is starting to turn or the .dat file for the game was corrupted somehow. So I tried both: got a new .dat file and started tests on my hard drive.

A scan for errors showed only 4 bad sectors and 7 errors in total on a 2TB HDD. Seatools will pass drive's SMART test but will fail a short DST at 10%. A number of other tools throw a caution, citing pending (80), uncorrectable (80) and reallocated(2072) sectors are getting high. I'm not the best with hardware so I'm wondering if I'm at the point where I need to take action or if this is a continue and monitor situation.

Solution
coogah, if it failed the short test and you are getting I/O errors, it is time to back up your files if you have not done so as this drive may fail at any moment.