Interrupted chkdsk and now XP won't boot

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"chkdsk" was interrupted when my power went out. Now when trying to start-up
I get a continuous cycling to the error page that provides the choices of
'start in safe mode', 'last known good config', 'start normally' etc. I've
tried them all repeatedly with the same result. I've also tried to re-install
WinXP with the Operating System CD, but my pc won't read the disk (I also
went into setup and defaulted to a startup sequence for cd-rom only). I have
found a one sentence disclaimer on the Knowledge Base that Microsoft can't
guarantee disk integrity if chkdsk is interrupted... great. Anything else
that might work or is my HD toast?? Thanks for any help!

You need to enter BIOS on start-up,select to boot to cd-in boot priority or
similiar,install xp cd,boot to cd.At info screen select r for recovery,press
enter for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R When its thru,type:EXIT Let
xp start-up.

"Chuck" wrote:

> "chkdsk" was interrupted when my power went out. Now when trying to start-up
> I get a continuous cycling to the error page that provides the choices of
> 'start in safe mode', 'last known good config', 'start normally' etc. I've
> tried them all repeatedly with the same result. I've also tried to re-install
> WinXP with the Operating System CD, but my pc won't read the disk (I also
> went into setup and defaulted to a startup sequence for cd-rom only). I have
> found a one sentence disclaimer on the Knowledge Base that Microsoft can't
> guarantee disk integrity if chkdsk is interrupted... great. Anything else
> that might work or is my HD toast?? Thanks for any help!

There's a ms support article, Q307545, which might help. But you need to
have the recovery console set up, and it needs to be a registry corruption
problem. This allows you to go in and delete the corrupted registry and
replace it with a clean one.