Interview With AMD's Director Of VR, Daryl Sartain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbutstillatit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I so desperately want AMD "back" in the GPU game as a more serious competitor to nVidia. I'm not a "fanboi" of either but, it would sure help "us" the consumers, if there was a more level playing field. Maybe even a surprise upset likes days of old?

Anyway you slice it a stronger AMG GPU offering is good for "us".

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
imho, AMD's GCN did quite well for so long. The only losing ground is efficiency at given price-performance. But the way I see it, VR is like 'look what we can do now' stuff.

VR on PC is still very expensive and thus makes it quite exclusive. But that's understandable for early adopters. VR truly is the future for GPU tech will lenient on. Do it right, and it will pay off for either nVidia or AMD for the long run.

I hope I'm not dead if someday if this VR tech ever gets popular and cheap enough plus with great content. I want to experience it too *droll like every poor joes out there :3

alextheblue

Distinguished
I hope I'm not dead if someday if this VR tech ever gets popular and cheap enough plus with great content. I want to experience it too *droll like every poor joes out there :3

I'd pay $2000 for a working NerveGear. Even with permadeath turned on! :D

Amazing Interview on Toms part!

Great answers from Mr. Daryl as well. I would have liked for Toms to have pressured a bit more on the DX12 vs Vulkan question, since AMD is going for "open standards", but pissing off MS is not in their best interests either, I guess.

I also hope and realistically expect VR to take off. The technology *is here* to make it happen with the standards people want to see, to a price point where a lot of people can actually reach (not cheap, but you don't need to be a millionaire).

All in all, good questions and great answers. Thanks a lot for this.

Cheers!

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I so desperately want AMD "back" in the GPU game as a more serious competitor to nVidia. I'm not a "fanboi" of either but, it would sure help "us" the consumers, if there was a more level playing field. Maybe even a surprise upset likes days of old?

Anyway you slice it a stronger AMG GPU offering is good for "us".

Thinking they aren't is The reason they aren't. Depending on the time of the year AMD or nVidia has the best GPU at any given price point (save for car down payment priced ultra lux high end cards like titan) AMDs problem is their competitor pushing closed source instructions and features and having developers use said items. AMD has had to make workarounds for this on both fronts for years now.

Grab_Boyd

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

Well, you need to support them by buying their h/w, which is what I have been doing for years, even when it sometimes isn't the most "popular" option, as long as it is good enough. And most of the time it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.