Interview with Tim Sweeney about Unreal Engine - 3

Interesting stuff, definitely worth the whole read.

<A HREF="http://www.beyond3d.com/#news13401" target="_new">http://www.beyond3d.com/#news13401</A>

This actually appeared on the 18th, but was sloted way in the back. I thought it was already covered. Now it's been moved to the front, so I guess you had to know where it was before.

If you want to read more about the 'future' then this is defintely a worthwhile read. And even Sweeney says that it's like that the games based on this engine will be coming out in 2006, not 2005. At which time having the lowest common denominator being the DX9 capable cards (I'm sure that's excluding the FX5200, X300 and Intel Extreme 3 [AKA GBA, err.. GMA900]), isn't that far fetched.

Anywhoo, Enjoy!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Actually it appears that it won't.

Sweeney is basically saying that anything below a DX9 capable card, let alone your DX8.0 only (no DX8.1/PS1.4 for YOU! :wink: ), will simply draw resources and strength away from programming resources directed at a soley DX9.0/PS2.0+ path. It could be done but he thinks not at the cost of getting the best for the newer cards, and by then he expects the average card to be DX9/PS2.0 capable, hopefully he's not counting the FX5200/5600 and X300 lines.

I like this attitude though. Without that kind of push perhaps we'd be stuck with an SM3.0 port of a DX7/8 game which would really lose alot of the benifits and elegance of the advancing models, and require extra work for little return.

I have no problem with making UT2K6 DX9 and above only. By then I will likely have my DX-Next capable card, with my dual/quad core CPU and hopefully something resembling Longhorn if it isn't pushed back until 2009 by that time.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Not Longhorm until 2009!!!! They better come out with more SP for 2000Pro. I'm still waiting for X800Pro to get to Best Buy or CompUsa. So I can play with them. Comp gives me 2 weeks and Best Buy 1 month. Of course I'll OC them. :smile:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
2009? WTF?!?!?!?!

Windows XP reloaded better be one hell of an update!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D