ze12o

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello everyone,

i am not a pro system admin and still learning. my company needs to run hardware tests on our product and i was asked to design a network infrastructure to perform tests.

i have:
48port 10Gb L3 switch (switch A)
24port 1Gb L2 switch (switch B)

within switch A
our product (SERVER X)
LAG into 2 10GB ports. (ports are participanats of vlan 20 and vlan 10)

LAG also exists between switch A and B

within the switch B i want to have 2 VLANS:
vlan 10, vlan 20

vlan 10 has 10 servers (.99.XX subnet)
vlan 20 has 20 servers (.93.XX subnet)

on switch B, vlan 10 and vlan 20 can communicate fine

but communication from switch A to switch B is not performing like the manual says it should... any help is appreciated. im still learning and determined to figure this issue out.

any help is appreciated

Solution
You must use 802.1q tagging on the ports between the switches. Since combining links make thing hard to troubleshoot start with just a single cable between the switch until you get it to work then add the others to the group.

Not sure how it works fine on switch b You should have no connection at all between the vlans because it is a layer 2 switch you will need the route capability of switch a to communicate.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You must use 802.1q tagging on the ports between the switches. Since combining links make thing hard to troubleshoot start with just a single cable between the switch until you get it to work then add the others to the group.

Not sure how it works fine on switch b You should have no connection at all between the vlans because it is a layer 2 switch you will need the route capability of switch a to communicate.

Solution

ze12o

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

you are correct john, switch b was not functioning properly until they became the VLAN 10.

thank you for your reply,

now i agree i should start small. will route capabilities from switch A lead into switch B? meaning will switch B be able to route because switch A has capabilities to route?

i will start on connection testing using 802.1q between the switches and check back periodically. i really need to get this up.

so my test plan is to use VLAN 20 to isolate testing. having one computer be on vlan 20 on switch B and use the tagging features between the switches.
i declare the ports on switch A to be part of both VLAN 20. would this be a good test to run?

thank again.