[SOLVED] Intimidated by Front Panel Connectors for B550-F Rog Strig - First Time Build

cyberfyber

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
Planning on my first build using the ASUS B550-F ROG Strig motherboard.
Thing is, the manual doesn't get as concise as the one I'd seen for the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX - which I was originally planning to buy.
Can't find a decent youtube vid (if any) on the installation of this board. Unlike the B450 for which there are plenty.

Please tell me if I'm sweating things too much.

Case to be used would be the Lian Li 2 Mesh Performance

Thanks

Solution
Thing is, the manual doesn't get as concise as the one I'd seen for the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX - which I was originally planning to buy.
Can't find a decent youtube vid (if any) on the installation of this board. Unlike the B450 for which there are plenty.

Thanks
Item 14 in chapter 1 of the user's manual clearly lists all the pins on the front panel header.
The only thing a little confusing is that there are two sets of pins which can be used for power on LED indicator. You can probably use either. They MAY behave slightly differently when the...

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks
Item 14 in chapter 1 of the user's manual clearly lists all the pins on the front panel header.
The only thing a little confusing is that there are two sets of pins which can be used for power on LED indicator. You can probably use either. They MAY behave slightly differently when the computer is in sleep. It is possible one set blinks the LED while the other does not. You would have to experiment.
The case connectors are usually well labeled. If there are red and black wires that are both labeled PLED or LED then the red is positive and black is negative.

Reactions: cyberfyber
Solution

cyberfyber

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
The only thing a little confusing is that there are two sets of pins which can be used for power on LED indicator. You can probably use either. They MAY behave slightly differently when the computer is in sleep. It is possible one set blinks the LED while the other does not. You would have to experiment.
The case connectors are usually well labeled. If there are red and black wires that are both labeled PLED or LED then the red is positive and black is negative.

Yes, I saw that. Aside from their being in a different order from what I'd seen elsewhere, is it likely that I won't end up filling them all up?

Total noob here.

'and thanks for chiming in. :)

Also keep in mind that:
  • The switches can be installed in either direction, because the switch simply shorts the connections together
  • The LED indicators have to be installed in a certain direction, but if you install it in the wrong direction the LEDs simply don't work. So there's no danger here.
Also it's normal for some of the pins to be vacant. A common vacant spot is for the so-called PC Speaker.

Reactions: cyberfyber

cyberfyber

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
Also keep in mind that:
  • The switches can be installed in either direction, because the switch simply shorts the connections together
  • The LED indicators have to be installed in a certain direction, but if you install it in the wrong direction the LEDs simply don't work. So there's no danger here.
Also it's normal for some of the pins to be vacant. A common vacant spot is for the so-called PC Speaker.

Excellent! Thank you!