invalid dynamic disk when accessing old 1TB SATA to newer laptop via external dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2019
thanks in advance for any help. I have an old desktop machine i'm parting out. I want to keep the data from it's secondary data storage disk drive and access it with a different windows system. There is no OS on this 1TB SATA drive (wd caviar black). So i removed the SATA from the desktop enclosure and put it into my external SATA docking station (which works fine with other HDs). When I first connected to the laptop it read as invalid dynamic disk in disk management. I found that windows 7HE doesn't support dynamic disc, so I installed the upgrade to win7pro, but the SATA still only shows up in disk management as invalid. I also tried to read it on two separate win10Pro machines with the same result.

Googled and saw this article:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage...
and reinstalled the SATA into my original (Running XP) desktop to try what it says, but with it installed, now the desktop machine won't boot all the way to windows even in safe mode. It starts to, i get the windows logo and then just a blank blue screen. no error codes.

Is my only option to buy a program and use the Win7PRO laptop to convert it to basic disk type (and hopefully not destroy my data)?

*edited to fix my oops calling SATA SSD.

Why don't you copy the files from that drive on the original system and copy it to an external drive or something? Maybe you had the disk setup in some special way in the system so it can't be read. Or try booting off a Linux Live disk and see if that sees it.

Status
Not open for further replies.