Invalid IP address Windows 10

murphie12211

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Win 10 that suddenly disconnected to the internet and I can't get it to reconnect. Three other computers can connect to internet.
Router and modem confirmed OK with ISP.
Did ipconfig /release...get an error "...media disconnected."

Ran diagnostic shows Invalid IPv4 Address.

Jumped through hoops with provider and Lenovo.

The second Lenovo tech said, to the best of my understanding, that the wifi driver needs to be reset.

He told me to get a Wireless USB Adapter. so I bought a Wireless 11N mini Adapter (JUE301) 2.4GHz. It said Windows so that's what I bought.

Well....you have to install the program (?) from this little 2" CD. There's no place on my computer to insert a CD.

Lenovo then told me to buy an optical reader.

My Questions:

1) Is Lenovo correct with their diagnosis?
2) If so, did I get the correct Wireless Adaptor?
3) If the next step is purchasing an optical driver, do they have to be a specific kind for these tiny CD's?
Recommendations for an inexpensive one that will probably only be used once.

murphie12211

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

That's the exact Adapter I bought, but it needs an optical reader for that little cd. Is there a special one for that size?

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013

No it'll work in a standard optical drive

You've been given good advice above but if this was a simple case of the wi-fi adapter being switched off, it's worth checking.

Sometimes there will be a Function key with the wireless icon printed on it and that might be a toggle switch. Some models have a physical switch on the front or side.

murphie12211

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

I don't have either, but I did make sure the wifi is switched to on. (My initial thought was the cat stepped on the keyboard, but there's nothing on it to cause disconnect.)

murphie12211

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

I'm having a heck of a time finding a USB 2.0 optical reader that is both FULLY compatible with Win 10 and can read the 3" CD. I've only been able to find 2 out of 3 requirements.

Most are now USB 3.0 or state "not fully compatible with Win10" and/or require downloading some app to use Win 10. Well, I can't download anything because I can't get on the internet. Some I thought would work turned out would not read the smaller CD.

Do you have any recommendations?
Perhaps I should look for an adapter that has the larger CD.

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013

i find it very odd you have found drives that have these issues.. If you have a desktop you can pu the disk in it, and then copy the instalation file across onto a usb and just use a usb to put it on the laptop. Or you can buy an adapter not sure where but i have heard of them in the past.

murphie12211

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

Well, I've spent 4+ hrs in Amazon looking for one with those specs and haven't found any yet. I'm sure somebody with knowledge about these things could scan in a few minutes, but I have to read each one, search through their answers, ask questions, search through links to distributors/manufacturers..etc. Nada so far.

Desktop is a dinosaur and hasn't been used in over 4 years, and I don't know how to download onto a usb IF the thing would even take the 3" cd.

I'm just going to find a wireless adapter that has a larger CD...hopefully.

Thanks for your help.

Windows 10 should identify the wi-fi device and install drivers without a problem. The CD will usually have some useless software on it.

If that doesn't happen, look at the Properties of the device in Device Manager and take the VEN and DEV references from the Details>HardwareIDs and input them into www.pcidatabse.com then follow the trail to the maker's drivers.