Question Invalid Partition, BSoD, Keyboard Not Recognized

Aug 3, 2019
TLL;DR version of below * in case that helps anyone to help me. I'm desperate to access my system. (See also reply to this post with additional system info.)

On Win 7 Dell XPS AIO, BSoD caused by Invalid Partition.

My attempts to repair the issue can't get past this screen:
QxDFxRf.jpg

Can't try any fixes as keyboard input isn't recognized (I get a static sound from the unit with each keystroke, though. Woking USB keyboard.) USB recovery drive is also ignored.

Original post:
After being up all night working on a project on my Win 7 Dell XPS AIO, I was moments away from saving everything & shutting it all down when the dreaded BSoD interrupted, citing an Invalid Partition as the excuse.

My attempts to repair the issue can't get past this screen:
QxDFxRf.jpg

My research suggests possible fixes, but none can be tried because the keyboard input isn't recognized, and a USB recovery drive is also ignored.

I have in the past, with the help of people with far more expertise than I, done some very long & involved repairs & recoveries.

But this system has behaved so well over the past few years, I've nearly forgotten all I once knew about fixing serious PC problems.

No time is a good time for a disaster like this, but this is a particularly bad time for me to lose my computer. Does anyone know a way I might be able to revive my system?

What other info about my setup would be helpful?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
I found the purchase confirmation email with all the specs. So, in case any of this helps:
XPS One 2710 Non Touch Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1
32GB mSATA caching SSD
2 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
16GB, NON-ECC, 1600MHZ DDR3, 2DIMM
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Operating System DVD
Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i7-3770S Processor (3.10 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)
Non-Touch 27 inch Quad High Definition (2560x1440) WLED Display with Webcam
Non Touch Chassis with AV input
8X Blu-Ray BD Combo (Blu-ray ROM + DVD+/- RW)

Aug 3, 2019
Thanks very much for the reply.

I've fixed problems in towers before, but this All-in-One case I've never opened, so, let me just ask; from what you can tell, is my recollection that the system actually boots from the SSD likely incorrect?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks very much for the reply.

I've fixed problems in towers before, but this All-in-One case I've never opened, so, let me just ask; from what you can tell, is my recollection that the system actually boots from the SSD likely incorrect?
It is likely that 32GB drive is just a cache for the data that resides on the HDD.
"32GB mSATA caching SSD "

It has possibly died, hence the BSOD issues.

If possible, physically remove that mSATA drive and see if it boots up.

If the OS were actually on the 32GB drive and it has failed, you would probably see "No boot device detected".

The final absolute fix for this might be a full reinstall on just the HDD, but let's see if it boots up from that by itself anyway.

Aug 3, 2019
OK. With the 32GB mSATA removed, it still can't find anything to boot from. I set it to boot from the HDD, but no go. I do have a bootable DVD & what iirc is a bootable USB drive. Try one of those, I guess?

Aug 3, 2019
Attempts to boot from the DVD fail. Disk read error. Mislaid the USB drive, but know it's right around here somewhere.

Meanwhile, I ran the diagnostics and the good news is...well there's not really any. Everything passed--except the HDD. %$*#!

Ugh. I suspected might need to replace it after a couple of what might have been warning signs, but those type events have occurred over the many years I've had this system and it always bounced back.

Due to its age (purchased Oct 2012), I was more worried than usual, however, as support for Win 7 expires at the end of the year, I was gambling that I could just wait til Christmas to get a new system.

I have this computer I'm on now that might stand in for now except that:

1. I've been so busy lately I failed to keep up with my backups and have some recent dox I really need from that failed HDD.

2. I'd really like to use the old setup (27inch screen, decent desk chair, etc. ), so will price HDD replacments and see how soon I could get one.

My brain is scrabled now, so I can't figure out if there's any point in trying the bootable USB drive.

Aug 3, 2019
Ah, I just remembered. I have another, lesser, Dell AIO around here somewhere that hasn't been used for a couple of years. I wonder if I could scavenge its HDD for the XPS 2710 for now.

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770S 3rd gen Processor (3.10 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)
2 TB 3.5-Inch 7200 RPM Hard Drive

How do I tell if it would be compatible?

(Or, I could just set that smaller screen AIO up for now. Still not a great solution if I can't get those files from the other HDD, but still...

Aug 3, 2019
Hi, Mandark. Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "within SSD."
(OK, I think USAFRet explained it: you meant "with an SDD." Yes, an SSF would be preferable. Not sure, though, if I'll bother other than to use the disk I have on hand or get a cheap HDD to tide me over until I replace the system entirely by next January when support for Win 7 ends. The XPS 2710 is notorious for being unable to accept Win 10 upgrades. )

Also,
Update:
I thought maybe changing the SATA mode from RAID might be worth a try so I set it to AHCI. After that, I was no longer offered the HDD as a boot option so I tried the DVD again. This time it booted from it and is offering to install Windows.

I don't suppose (last ditch hope) the HDD really didn't fail, but trying the third SATA mode might be the answer. I don't suppose the diagnostics would depend on the SATA mode, but I can always hope.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
He actually mean "with an SSD".
typo.

But from the original pic and later comments...it does appear that the HDD is faulty, not the little SSD.
In which case, there is a long road of tears.

2 considerations here:
  1. Making this system work again. That's easy...put in a new HDD and reinstall an OS
  2. Recovering the data off what appears to be a dead HDD. That is MUCH more problematic. And this is specifically what backups are for.

Aug 3, 2019
Yeah, USAFret, believe me, I realize not doing my recent backups was really, really lame. Still, the web suggests there are ways to (possibly) recover the data. Which I will be trying...

Meanwhile, in case I decide to mitigate my misery a bit by still being able to work with my somewhat outdated files on the 27" screen I'm used to, how can I tell if the HDD from the other AIO will work to replace the failed drive?

I've tried googling it, but I must not be using the correct search terms. I keep getting "how" to replace it, not which drives I can replace it with.