invalid subnet mask set 255.255.255.255

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.

Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
gateway is 10.103.1.8.

Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?

I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that gives
me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my

Mike Brearley

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Should use the mask 255.255.255.0. You could also try using a cross-over
cable and connect to it.

"Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
> I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
> network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
> connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.
>
> Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
> gateway is 10.103.1.8.
>
> Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
> settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?
>
> I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
> masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that gives
> me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp table.

> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
> lack of caffeine.
>
> Mike Brearley

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Which Vendor & Model device ? - Broadband Reports forums are
usually a good resource for configuring devices. Usually somebody
there has prior experience with most hardware.
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forums

"Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
>network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
>connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.
>
> Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
> gateway is 10.103.1.8.
>
> Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
> settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?
>
> I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
> masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that gives
> me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp table.

> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
> lack of caffeine.
>
> Mike Brearley

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I highly doubt anyone will have experience with this particular device,
that's why I asked the question as a generic network question and not device
specific. It's a RS232 LAN Converter from Westerstrand Time Distribution
out of Sweden. My vender first had this issue with the first lan converted
they sent. They replaced that one and after I received the new one, I set
my settings, saved them, then couldn't access the device anymore (just like
what happened with my vender on the first device). After about 2 weeks of
very very slow email conversation, they finally gave me a propgram that
could read the settings through a serial connection. That's when I noticed
the invalid subnet mask. And the thing is... I never touched the subnet
mask when I was setting it up for our network as it was already correct
(255.255.255.0).

I'll try the forum you suggested, but still would like help here as well if
anyone out there can help.

--

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Which Vendor & Model device ? - Broadband Reports forums are
> usually a good resource for configuring devices. Usually somebody
> there has prior experience with most hardware.
> http://www.broadbandreports.com/forums
>

> "Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
>>network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
>>connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.
>>
>> Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
>> gateway is 10.103.1.8.
>>
>> Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
>> settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?
>>
>> I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
>> masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that
>> gives me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp
>> table.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
>> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
>> lack of caffeine.
>>
>> Mike Brearley

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for the follow-up. I checked the website and only found a
minimal amount of documentation on the device - just a simple PDF
product spec and environmental doc. Maybe someone at BB-Rpts
can help.

>I highly doubt anyone will have experience with this particular device,
>that's why I asked the question as a generic network question and not
>device specific. It's a RS232 LAN Converter from Westerstrand Time
>Distribution out of Sweden. My vender first had this issue with the first
>lan converted they sent. They replaced that one and after I received the
>new one, I set my settings, saved them, then couldn't access the device
>anymore (just like what happened with my vender on the first device).
>After about 2 weeks of very very slow email conversation, they finally gave
>me a propgram that could read the settings through a serial connection.
>That's when I noticed the invalid subnet mask. And the thing is... I
>never touched the subnet mask when I was setting it up for our network as
>it was already correct (255.255.255.0).
>
> I'll try the forum you suggested, but still would like help here as well
> if anyone out there can help.
>
> --
> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
> lack of caffeine.
>
> Mike Brearley
>
> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Which Vendor & Model device ? - Broadband Reports forums are
>> usually a good resource for configuring devices. Usually somebody
>> there has prior experience with most hardware.
>> http://www.broadbandreports.com/forums
>>

>> "Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
>>>network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
>>>connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.
>>>
>>> Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
>>> gateway is 10.103.1.8.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
>>> settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?
>>>
>>> I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
>>> masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that
>>> gives me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp
>>> table.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
>>> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or
>>> my lack of caffeine.
>>>
>>> Mike Brearley

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I know that the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0, I'm not sure what
happened to set it to the invalid entry. I've tried a cross-over cable,
nothing is working.

Thanks...

--

"Neteng" <neteng.ccie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Should use the mask 255.255.255.0. You could also try using a cross-over
> cable and connect to it.
>

> "Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
>> network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
>> connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.
>>
>> Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
>> gateway is 10.103.1.8.
>>
>> Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
>> settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?
>>
>> I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
>> masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that
>> gives
>> me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp table.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
>> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
>> lack of caffeine.
>>
>> Mike Brearley

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm assuming this is a routing or switching device. Have you considered
simply replacing it with a device you know you can access?

"Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
> I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
> network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
> connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.
>
> Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
> gateway is 10.103.1.8.
>
> Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
> settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?
>
> I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
> masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that gives
> me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp table.

> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
> lack of caffeine.
>
> Mike Brearley

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes, but my vender has already replaced one that they screwed up (or rather
that the device screwed up on them by doing the same thing it did to me).
Now the manufacturer is hesitant on just sending a third device. It's an
RS232 to LAN converter from Westerstrand out of Sweden.

--

"Tony" <wittley3231@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm assuming this is a routing or switching device. Have you considered
> simply replacing it with a device you know you can access?

> "Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
>> network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
>> connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.
>>
>> Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
>> gateway is 10.103.1.8.
>>
>> Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
>> settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?
>>
>> I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
>> masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that
>> gives
>> me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp table.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
>> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
>> lack of caffeine.
>>
>> Mike Brearley

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

With this subnet mask, there are no available host IPs on the subnet.
Neither the assigned IP or the assigned gateway have any meaning here, as
this piece of equipment will not be talking to anything.

Does this device have a reset switch or a CMOS-clear jumper (or battery) to
pull out? Or is there as serial console connection that you can use to talk
to the device with?

"Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I have a device that the vender is telling me the only way to change it's
>network settings is by telnetting into it. They have a program that can
>connect via serial to 'view' it's settings, but that it, just view.
>
> Subnet mask has somehow been set to 255.255.255.255. IP is 10.103.1.40,
> gateway is 10.103.1.8.
>
> Is there anyway to get into this via telnet? Specific ip/subnet/gateway
> settings I'd need to set on the pc connecting to it?
>
> I've tried setting an ip of 10.103.1.41 and a range of different subnet
> masks, but nothing let me even ping the device. The only thing that gives
> me hope is that after pinging it, its MAC address shows in my arp table.

> Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
> lack of caffeine.
>
> Mike Brearley

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There's no reset switch, no jumpers, no battery. There is a serial
connection (as it's an rs232 to rg45 lan converter), but with it's current
firmware rev, the companies new program that allows settings the network
settings through the serial connection will not work. My vender is flashing
a new chip and is sending it to me to arrive tomorrow. With that, I should
be all set (I hope).