Inverter or Backlight, Inspiron 8000

I have a Inspiron 8000 and a Latitude C800, both with 15 inch Hitachi
screens that are giving similar problems. I think it is an inverter issue
in both cases but it could be the backlight bulb, I need some advice.

On both machines, when you first boot the white color has a reddish cast to
it, both in the setup screens and when the O/S is running. No discoloration
when running on an external monitor. After a minute or so the reddish cast
disappears that the whites are the correct color. On the C800 it continues
to run fine after that. On the I 8K machine, the display also gets the
white back to the correct color but then after about 4 minutes the display
goes blank (not hiberation or suspend). When you reboot the machines it
does the same thing again. I would just go ahead and replace the inverter
since they are usually not too expensive, however the inverters for the
Hitachi screen are hard to find and expensive when you find them. (Dell put
about 5 different brands of lcd in these puppies, ibm, samsung, hitachi,
etc.).

So what is the wisdom of the list, inverter or backlight bulb?
Bill

Sounds more like the backlight tube than the inverter.

Unless you're well versed in this, let a shop replace it for you - it's not
an easy repair.