Invest in PC or Keep Xbox One?

Nightwing449

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
I have a Xbox One but with Watch Dogs and Dark Souls 2 coming to PC, I was wondering should I invest in buying/getting a PC. I was thinking about going to sell my Xbox One to get some extra money for building a PC. I have about $800 and I could get a little bit more from selling my console. If I was going to build a PC, Where would I start and what kind of parts should I buy? I am a complete noob when it comes to PC parts, Also is one more question Is it hard to build a PC and should I get someone to build it for me?

Thanks!

haha yeah by PC standards XBOX one is already out of date tech, you will see better support for games, better online play with your friends. but for solo gaming PC makes more sense, better deals on games too. easier to upgrade

bernardblack

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I'd just get games for the X1 right now, and monitor SteamOS/ Steam Machine, and then build/ buy one of those. They are essentially consoles that fit full size graphics cards in them and you can upgrade their CPU, RAM and HDD in addition...most of the vendors have a customize option where you can go bigger on specific components, but their base models are competitive with consoles, @ $500.00...and they are faster. For less than 800.00 you can probably customize one with more RAM, GPU or CPU. Give it until summer or later...(when they anticipate the OS will be out of Beta), however...or get a Steam Machine now and just install Windows on it and use the Steam client in the meantime. You don't need to build a big, full, tall, power hungry thing like mine...which is hard on the electric bill. lol I'd love to be rid of mine to get a small form factor. Anyway, if you do build one, get AMD components. AMD Mantel is out, for one...and their "price to power performance" is fantastic. I built mine for 900.00, over a year ago.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (UEFI 8+2 phase board = good for overclocking, for the price)
FX8150 (8-core) @ 4.6ghz (I achieved a full 1GHZ OC, but no further...due, to heat) [You can get an FX8350 for what I paid for this, now]
Coolmaster V6 heatsink (2x 120mm fans)
Avexir Core series RAM @ 16GB
Corsair 32GB SSD (OS Only drive) [get a 64Gb-128GB. They are running at better deals now than when I got this]
Sapphire HD6970 @ 975mhz (I paid 289.00 for this, I reckon you could get better than this for around what I paid over a year ago).
SoundBlaster Z series (quad DSP's)
Corsair TX750 modulate power supply

I've been building PC's since 1996. Build them smart. Use only quality mainboards and CPU's... don't go cheap on those by buying some budget 80.00 mainboard and/ or power supply. Delivering harsh power to your components will shorten their life span faster than any slightly unstable overclock will ;) I'd go on smaller on the GPU, if you have to cut corners somewhere, in fact.

ha, thief? you mean the game AMD is literally giving away? I got it for free and its barely next gen to say the least. The i3 is a great chip, and for games that run on 2 and 4 threads it still holds its own. but for people interested in editing, rendering, and some gaming, and everything in between, I would go with an 8 core FX any day over the dual core i3. now if intel unlocked the i3 so it could overclock it would be great, but then people might realize theyre getting screwed with the prices

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Im pretty sure its a mainly gaming PC. I didn't see anything about the OP saying rendering, editing etc. Even comparing the highest end AMD CPU to intels lowest i-series shows how inefficient and far behind the AMD is in the CPU market.

Talking about next gen. What about the BF4 benchmark you totally skipped?

well i skipped your BF4 benchmark link because it shows the 8350 as being better? and thats not overclocked a bit either. Everyone knows intel has higher IPC thats great and all, but for the few links you provided are not convincing enough. on games that run on more than 4 cores/ threads the FX 8350 will have the edge over that i3. overclock it and its no question. Obviously intel has better processors, but when it comes down to budgets, and balancing costs, an AMD CPU + stronger GPU would be better than an intel CPU with a weaker GPU (for gaming purposes)

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
BF4 1fps difference with i3 ivy at 700Mhz slower than 8350..
Talking about multithreaded games. Metro LL. The fact that an i5 ivy with 4 cores/threads at 500Mhz slower is faster than the 8 core 8350.
Even the CPU dependent Company of Heros 2 shows the efficiency of Intel over AMD - i5 ivy getting 13fps more at 1.1Ghz slower than an 8350 @4.5Ghz.

what are you trying to prove btw? everyone already knows that AMD has worse IPC than intel. AMD 8350 has about 50% worse single core performance over the i5 4670, but it also has twice as many cores. im not saying more cores is better, obviously its harder to optimize. but the price/performance on AMD's CPUs can not be ignored. for a budget gamer who is working with a fixed budget, an FX 8350 CPU paired with a stronger GPU would be the better gaming rig when compared to an i5 with a weaker GPU. understand?