[SOLVED] Investigating a new camera and / or new microphone.

alexcoady93

Prominent
Dec 31, 2018
Hello everyone.

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix B700 which I got as part exchange from a friend couple years back. My most regular use for is two to three times a year when I visit motorsport events here in the UK. I find the camera itself pretty good, also capable of 60fps video, but with one major letdown - the audio is poor (as might be expected from an in built microphone).

I am considering ahead of next year (when I also might also have a few more events lined up than usual) investing in an external microphone for the camera, however I am unsure of the practicalities of such an item or where to start, so would like some help.

Alternatively, would it be an even better idea to potentially sell the camera and invest in something new?

Here's a couple videos of my work this year with said camera.

Solution
I don't think your camera has a hotshoe, so you'd have to buy a mount for it that uses the tripod screw. You can buy a Rode mic for as low as $60, these are "shotgun" mics that reduce surrounding sound and instead focuses only on what's in front of it. This can help when filming cars, but if you're Vlogging in the pit area, then you should get a Lapel mic and attach it to your shirt.

You also need to get a camera with good image stabilization, or buy yourself a gimbal to mount the camera. Or a monopod if you're going to be standing there for long periods of time.
I don't think your camera has a hotshoe, so you'd have to buy a mount for it that uses the tripod screw. You can buy a Rode mic for as low as $60, these are "shotgun" mics that reduce surrounding sound and instead focuses only on what's in front of it. This can help when filming cars, but if you're Vlogging in the pit area, then you should get a Lapel mic and attach it to your shirt.

You also need to get a camera with good image stabilization, or buy yourself a gimbal to mount the camera. Or a monopod if you're going to be standing there for long periods of time.

Solution