Investors Realize Nintendo Doesn't Own Pokemon, Stock Prices Plummet

Status
Not open for further replies.
again probably not. I met a guy a few years back who works on the digital card game for Pokemon. According to him the whole company has this deep seated silo mentality and different teams will refuse to help each other (share art assets) even if it would better for the company over all.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Interesting, I always thought Nintendo had a controlling stake of The Pokémon Company. Anyway, Nintendo's stock price will probably slide a bit further in the coming months.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
LMAO Now of we could raise peoples IQ's maybe less of them would play this stupid game and Niantic stock price would drop so maybe next time they make a game with a little more thought put into it. Yes I tried this game got bored after 3 minutes actual playing time was 1.5 minutes the rest was loading screens..lol

A common misconception. The two companies work so closely together, though, which makes it an extremely easy one to make. I thought Nintendo owned them as well for a long time. I just found out they didn't a year ago or so when I did another piece related to Pokemon and Nintendo and needed to know more details on their relationship.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
To my understanding Nintendo still owns the rights to the Pokemon IP, even when The Pokemon Company is set to handle all things pokemon. No idea how it all works.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Honestly, I'm not worried about players IQ, after all, people play to relax.

What really worries me is the IQ of investors. Nintendo shares doubled its value in a few days. Which means company value increased by about $300 billion. Did investors really expect (even assuming total ownership of pokemon go) a $300 billion impact just from a single game?

No, The Pokemon Company owns the Pokemon IP. That is the core of their business.

ien2222

Distinguished

Actually it's jointly held by Nintendo, Creatures Inc, GameFreak, and the The Pokemon Company.

Again, this is incorrect. These companies mentioned above own part of The Pokemon Company. The Pokemon Company actually owns the IP. In a sense, it does mean these companies also own the IP, but only due to partial ownership of a third-party.

ien2222

Distinguished

It's a convoluted mess, but all hold certain rights to the franchise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008721

It's as good a summary as any that I've seen.

Basically it started with Nintendo, GameFreak, and Creatures Inc and they did a joint venture to create The Pokemon Company. However, they never fully gave up all rights to the IP when this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS