invisible shopkeepers?

I've played lots of NetHack and yet now I've just lost a couple of
different characters in a way I have never seen before.

I'm in the doorway to a shop, and I don't see a shopkeeper in the space
inside the door, so I try to step in. I then hit an apparently
invisible shopkeeper, who gets angry and, well, that's it for that
character. And no, I wasn't blind when I tried to step in.

What the hell is up with that? This seems rather unfair, even by
NetHack standards.

--
Steve VanDevender "I ride the big iron" http://hexadecimal.uoregon.edu/
stevev@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu PGP keyprint 4AD7AF61F0B9DE87 522902969C0A7EE8

Steve VanDevender <stevev@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> was moved to say:

>I then hit an apparently
>invisible shopkeeper, who gets angry and, well, that's it for that
>character. And no, I wasn't blind when I tried to step in.
>
>What the hell is up with that? This seems rather unfair, even by
>NetHack standards.

On what level of the dungeon was this? Was it possibly a bones level,
and this shopkeeper had been zapped with a wand of make invisible (or
had a potion of invisibility thrown onto him) by the dear departed who
is inside the shop?

I have never ever met an invisible shopkeeper, and I agree it would be
a bit extreme. Perhaps a source-code-reader can tell us whether or
not such a thing is even *possible*?

--

JPD

SGFN

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:57:57 GMT, john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au (JPD)
wrote:

>Steve VanDevender <stevev@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> was moved to say:
>
>>I then hit an apparently
>>invisible shopkeeper, who gets angry and, well, that's it for that
>>character. And no, I wasn't blind when I tried to step in.
>>
>>What the hell is up with that? This seems rather unfair, even by
>>NetHack standards.
>
>On what level of the dungeon was this? Was it possibly a bones level,
>and this shopkeeper had been zapped with a wand of make invisible (or
>had a potion of invisibility thrown onto him) by the dear departed who
>is inside the shop?

....which gives me a fun, but evil, idea...

--
Keiran

john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au (JPD) wrote:
>I have never ever met an invisible shopkeeper, and I agree it would be
>a bit extreme. Perhaps a source-code-reader can tell us whether or
>not such a thing is even *possible*?

Peaceful monsters who are carrying items with which they can make
themselves invisible will do so if, and only if, the player has see
invisible.

Of course, if you then meet them in a bones level...
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
NP: Judas Priest - Loch Ness

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Keiran wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:57:57 GMT, john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au (JPD)
> wrote:
>
> >Steve VanDevender <stevev@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> was moved to say:
> >
> >>I then hit an apparently
> >>invisible shopkeeper, who gets angry and, well, that's it for that
> >>character. And no, I wasn't blind when I tried to step in.
> >>
> >>What the hell is up with that? This seems rather unfair, even by
> >>NetHack standards.
> >
> >On what level of the dungeon was this? Was it possibly a bones level,
> >and this shopkeeper had been zapped with a wand of make invisible (or
> >had a potion of invisibility thrown onto him) by the dear departed who
> >is inside the shop?
>
> ...which gives me a fun, but evil, idea...

And someone recently spoke about Engraving its inventory in case of
amnesia, which could be usefull in bones.
Don't forget to Engrave a false inventory (at least fo the most uncommon
items) before leaving an evil bone for someone to use...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:13:26 +0100, Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

>And someone recently spoke about Engraving its inventory in case of
>amnesia, which could be usefull in bones.
>Don't forget to Engrave a false inventory (at least fo the most uncommon
>items) before leaving an evil bone for someone to use...

My favorite evil bones trick is to name a pet (a dog, say) something like
"The invisible mind flayer misses. The little dog ".

--
-b

1 5966142 ___-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Neu ascended to demigod-hood. 261 [361]
Displayed email address has been spamproofed, reverse username to deproof.

begin quoting Steve VanDevender <stevev@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> (09
Mar 2005 21:24:54 -0800):
> I've played lots of NetHack and yet now I've just lost a couple of
> different characters in a way I have never seen before.

> I'm in the doorway to a shop, and I don't see a shopkeeper in the space
> inside the door, so I try to step in. I then hit an apparently
> invisible shopkeeper, who gets angry and, well, that's it for that
> character. And no, I wasn't blind when I tried to step in.

> What the hell is up with that? This seems rather unfair, even by
> NetHack standards.

I think you got "Welcome to ...'s <shop>" instead of "This shop appears
to be deserted." so you know there's a shopkeeper in :)

--
Jilles Tjoelker
jilles AT stack DOT nl