[SOLVED] invisible thumbnails on icons after a ram upgrade

MOJANG

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
hi guys,

I've been facing this problem where my icon thumbnails are invisible but the titles only appear throughout the windows directory, oddly it would occasionally appear fine when selecting or saving files within a software. The problem started when i've upgraded my ram from 16 to 32gb. I have been looking for tutorials and information about the problem but it seems that my problem is not common. I've changed themes, restarted my computer, sfc /scannow on cmd, played with regedit from a youtube tutorial (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbhdwXNwRNQ ), and nothing is working. If anyone knows a fix, it would be very appreciating.

thanks.

MOJANG

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
So I've managed to fix the problem on my own. Turns out that a registry folder was interfering with the invisible icon problem named "Shell Icons" located "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ explorer \ Shell Icons". Deleting the folder automatically refreshed my desktop and all my icons were restored back to normal. In my conclusion, i think the system tried to settle in with the ram upgrade but during the process might of ruined the registry which lead to the issue, so overall, everything works like expected.

Last edited:

MOJANG

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Look up what your ram is rated for and check bios and set it to that. I'd also stress test it with memtest86 or something like that to see if it's stable.
I've just checked my ram and saw that the new sticks installed is clocked at 3.0ghz while my older units is running at 2.4ghz. I'm not sure if that has to do with the icons messing up.

MOJANG

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
So I've managed to fix the problem on my own. Turns out that a registry folder was interfering with the invisible icon problem named "Shell Icons" located "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ explorer \ Shell Icons". Deleting the folder automatically refreshed my desktop and all my icons were restored back to normal. In my conclusion, i think the system tried to settle in with the ram upgrade but during the process might of ruined the registry which lead to the issue, so overall, everything works like expected.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS