inXile Kickstarts 'Torment' RPG, Hits Funding in 6 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I don't know what I was thinking about reading the title, I just figured Torment could actually be a crowd funded rocket propelled grenade...

zerghumper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I have to say, I love all these kickstarter efforts, putting control of the game back into the hands of the makers and not these FPS-pushing, DLC-mongering publishers (I'm looking at you EA). The games we're getting from the mainstream groups are becoming more expensive to make, more expensive to buy, take less time to beat, and in my opinion, have become less fun to play.

If this trend continues and expands I see us entering a new golden age of gaming; filled with awesome experiences such as Star Citizen, Defense Grid 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and many more! I can't wait!

lightsol

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i really wonder how this will turn out considering no more d&d license .[/citation]
They aren't using the DnD system, instead they are using their own written one (which is probably based a bit on DnD anyway, haven't checked into it that much for now)
The only thing they lose is the planescape setting, which they replace with something new and up to date :)

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]This is awesome news for the Linux gaming community, as both these titles have promised a Linux port![/citation]
Seems like Unity is the only real cross-platform game engine now. Id Tech and Unreal-based cross-platform games seem to have disappeared.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]I can't wait to see how the new Torment game turns out. Now I will have to go back and finish the original.[/citation]
It wasn't all that great as compared to the Baldur's Gate series. I did get a sense that there were unfinished sections that were removed before release.

It can be played on most anything using an open-source clone of the Infinity engine:
http://www.gemrb.org

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i really wonder how this will turn out considering no more d&d license .[/citation]
I've played D&D for years and the system is quite a mess. Anyways, the mechanics aren't really that useful in a computerized environment. Since Cook was working at TSR/WoTC recently he probably has some sort of license for the D&D elements, even if they are just a minor part of the backstory.

lightsol

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]It wasn't all that great as compared to the Baldur's Gate series. I did get a sense that there were unfinished sections that were removed before release.It can be played on most anything using an open-source clone of the Infinity engine:http://www.gemrb.org[/citation]
It was both better as a game and story wise. Although that very well might depend on your opinion, but i for one loved the fact that this was more or less the ONLY DnD game (or almost rpg in general) that rewards players for the SOCIAL stats instead of the more battle oriented ones. PS:T Was quite a bit more story/conversation oriented game than baldurs gate. Plus the possibilities and ways you could complete quests were quite a bit higher than BG. But that's just my opinion.
The ranking of the games during the time in my opinion:
Best social/overall rpg: PS:T + F1/F2
Best actiony rpg : Icewind dale 1/2
And BG is somewhere in between both of those spots

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lightsol[/nom]They aren't using the DnD system, instead they are using their own written one (which is probably based a bit on DnD anyway, haven't checked into it that much for now)The only thing they lose is the planescape setting, which they replace with something new and up to date[/citation]
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I've played D&D for years and the system is quite a mess. Anyways, the mechanics aren't really that useful in a computerized environment. Since Cook was working at TSR/WoTC recently he probably has some sort of license for the D&D elements, even if they are just a minor part of the backstory.[/citation]

no i know d&d sucks as a system for videogames, what i meant was the setting.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Im completely down for kickstarter for publishing, and while this title seems promising(i still play torment), I am not giving away any amount of money for a product that may or may not deliver on its promises, release date, etc..

I will wait and buy the game at full price, when i can see a product; given standard inflation rates, if it comes out in 3-4 years its the same value.

Status
Not open for further replies.