[SOLVED] io shield seems to have electricty/static current. what should i do?

Sep 12, 2020
hello. this problem actually had happen to me 3 times now but they all suddenly disappeared. but this time, i turned off my pc and pull it from the plug at night, then when i plug it the next morning, the io shield seems to have electricity/static and shocks me when i touch it. im afraid it will break components of my pc so i want to ask, what is happening, what should i do and how to prevent it from happening?

i think this problem is from my power supply. i use the type g plug.

and my pc is not on a carpeted flooring.

hope you can answer this!

Solution
i can also feel the electricity going through my headphone jack wire. my pc is now turned off and i dont know what to do.
Try this: run a wire from a case screw (bare metal) to a copper metal water pipe. That would effectively ground your PC case.

I'm not sure why you'd feel 'electricity' from your headphone wire. Once it's plugged in it should be completely insulated with no exposed wires or metal.
Which io shield?
Look to see if shield is touching the side of the motherboard - it may be touching a circuit trace.
Case should be grounded through the power supply so that you can't get shocked - you may need an electrician to verify your electrical service ground is intact from main box to recpticle you plugged into.

Verify that your wall outlet is properly grounded.
A ground is required for proper psu operation.
Buying a self tester may be cheaper than hiring a electrician.

Then, I think you are courting problems by plugging and unplugging from the wall.
Repeated mechanical actions generate failures.
Leave your pc plugged in while you power off.

Better yet, do not power off at all.
Use sleep to ram instead.
That puts your pc and monitor into a very low power state hardly different from power off.
The benefit is that sleep/wake becomes a handful of seconds.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Is this a prebuilt or a self assy?

The IO shield has some little stand offs next to the ports and it's easy to bend one of them into particularly the USB. I would make the assumption that if one was bent to power on the USB it would short out and cause damage but imagine it could induce the 5V to that shield. Not sure why it wouldn't "go to ground" via the case though.

Sep 12, 2020
actuall

Then, I think you are courting problems by plugging and unplugging from the wall.

That puts your pc and monitor into a very low power state hardly different from power off.
actually, i have used the same outlet for my pc and there wasnt any issues then,

i actually used to plug the pc at the same outlet before but it had never have electric current at the io shield. now, should i use different outlet for the pc or do something else? i am not really smart about electricity and stuff so i dont really know what to do.

Sep 12, 2020
Is this a prebuilt or a self assy?

The IO shield has some little stand offs next to the ports and it's easy to bend one of them into particularly the USB. I would make the assumption that if one was bent to power on the USB it would short out and cause damage but imagine it could induce the 5V to that shield. Not sure why it wouldn't "go to ground" via the case though.
it was a self built. this is actually my first ever pc so i dont really know how to deal with this problem.

Sep 12, 2020

i can also feel the electricity going through my headphone jack wire. my pc is now turned off and i dont know what to do.

Try this: run a wire from a case screw (bare metal) to a copper metal water pipe. That would effectively ground your PC case.

I'm not sure why you'd feel 'electricity' from your headphone wire. Once it's plugged in it should be completely insulated with no exposed wires or metal.

Solution