iomega external hard drive

KSMdurga

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
There are two side by side connected USB plugs--do I plug both in to back up my files? I'm asking because when I open the iomega it reads that it is empty and I've thought all along I'm backing up my files. Thanks for your help.

Solution
Just plugging it in, won't backup your 'files'. You have to tell the computer either with the included Iomega software or using Windows Backup built in (depending if this is even a Windows computer) to backup TO that letter drive. I would suggest, as your a very novice on this, to open the Iomega MANUALs that came with it, and follow the step by step. There will be a further step to install the 'backup' software if included, then you can designate what it is you need backed up.

BTW what you back up is NOT Windows, aka I back it up, press a button on it and BOOM Windows right back to the way it was. Normally your just backing up YOUR DATA, aka your Documents, your Pictures, etc. Not the programs (and no you can't really). What I...
Just plugging it in, won't backup your 'files'. You have to tell the computer either with the included Iomega software or using Windows Backup built in (depending if this is even a Windows computer) to backup TO that letter drive. I would suggest, as your a very novice on this, to open the Iomega MANUALs that came with it, and follow the step by step. There will be a further step to install the 'backup' software if included, then you can designate what it is you need backed up.

BTW what you back up is NOT Windows, aka I back it up, press a button on it and BOOM Windows right back to the way it was. Normally your just backing up YOUR DATA, aka your Documents, your Pictures, etc. Not the programs (and no you can't really). What I normally do is run (for Windows 7) Windows Easy Transfer, as it gets all the nice settings, the way my icons are on the desktop etc. (just type Windows Easy Transfer after clicking the ORB in bottom left) once a month and it does a simple job of it for me, though does takes a while to do that (meaning you should NOT be using the computer till it is done).

Solution