carnation1960

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Thanks for responding. I had the drive in my computer a couple of hours before it "disappeared". If the computer does not recognize the drive, how would I get the data off of it? Do you know another way?

This might sound weird, but you can give it a try. Cool the hard drive (like in a fridge or freezer, but keep it in a moisture proof bag) and then try to use it. Sometimes, it helps. Otherwise, the data might be unrecoverable without sending it in to a data recovery company who would then extract the data professionally, but that's probably going to be expensive. You might not be able to get any data of of the drive (it's not rare for a failed drive's data to be unrecoverable, except by professionals). I'm not exactly an expert in data recovery, so that's all the help that I can offer, except maybe trying to use a partitioning program. Those programs might be able to see a drive that Windows does not and then copy it's contents to another drive. MiniTool's Partition Wizard is a good, free program of this type.